• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

And now the Wire (1 Viewer)

samuel walker

It's OK to be a little blue........
I am a champion of the Canada Goose in Ohio This bird is suffering a public relations nightmare for doing what Canadas do.We have several small ponds near me that the geese use I noticed one recently that was gridded with wire in the front yard of a hospital.The pond was deliberatly created by the hospital when it was built presumably to attract water birds.The geese came as did the ducks.I assumed this was for the enjoyment of patients and employees.Now the Canadas winging overhead can zip into the pond at 30-40MPH and destroy themseves on pencil lead thin wire transversing the pond.I have no idea how well a goose can detect a wire grid fron 200 feet up but, I have my doubts .Since it is on hospital grounds they can pull the injured brant into the OR quickly.Cruelty to animals is uncomfortable enough but to see it practiced wontonly by the the local hospital is beyond reason.
Sam

Oh that is terrible! Did you contact the hospital or the SPCA or whatever agency would be involved with that (fish and game?). It makes me sick to think of it. Maybe if the community paper were made aware the hospital would remove the wire.

samuel walker said:
I am a champion of the Canada Goose in Ohio This bird is suffering a public relations nightmare for doing what Canadas do.We have several small ponds near me that the geese use I noticed one recently that was gridded with wire in the front yard of a hospital.The pond was deliberatly created by the hospital when it was built presumably to attract water birds.The geese came as did the ducks.I assumed this was for the enjoyment of patients and employees.Now the Canadas winging overhead can zip into the pond at 30-40MPH and destroy themseves on pencil lead thin wire transversing the pond.I have no idea how well a goose can detect a wire grid fron 200 feet up but, I have my doubts .Since it is on hospital grounds they can pull the injured brant into the OR quickly.Cruelty to animals is uncomfortable enough but to see it practiced wontonly by the the local hospital is beyond reason.
Sam
The world is full of idiots! :C
Could anything be done under the Migatory Bird Act? I suspect that the people who authorised the wire could be charged if they actually cause a bird to be injured.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back