• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

External Hard Drive (1 Viewer)

telejd

I'm looking to purchase a 1tb hard drive to back up and store photo's on. I know there are as many makes out there as there are breakfast cereals, but does anyone have any recommendations or as importantly which to avoid?

Many thanks

Just had the Passport delivered and for the price £59.57 from Amazon is a good piece of kit. Thanks all for your advice

I have a 4 year old 1TB Western Digital (My Book), a 6-year old Western Digital 300GB (My Passport) portable drive, and two 1 year old Western Digital 500GB (My Passport) portable drives.

Worked in IT for years and WD have been highly reliable in my experience.

Last edited:
I prefer the external hard drives that have an on/off switch so they can left plugged into the machine but switched off when not needed.

I have a Lacie drive which doesn't have this and is active the minute machine either switched on or plugged in.

Capacities are moving forward rapidly. My 1TB WD drive was the largest capacity when I bought it two years ago and now I think some are upwards of 8TB with 4TB at the same price I paid for the 1TB

I also run a Western Digital 1TB and an Iomega 500mb. But the WD is better. I should also add I run 2 computers, one for all internet work and one for processing, video work etc.

I'm also in the market for an external hard drive for backup. Has anyone had any experience with the wallet-type drives with no moving parts? What are the pros and cons vs. conventional hard drives? Are they as reliable?

I'm also in the market for an external hard drive for backup. Has anyone had any experience with the wallet-type drives with no moving parts? What are the pros and cons vs. conventional hard drives? Are they as reliable?

fugl,
I had hoped that someone with more knowledge than I had jumped in. But here are my two cents, if I have misunderstood something, hopefully someone will correct me.

Solid state drives have faster access times and a higher cost per storage unit as far as I know. The question is to what extent the faster access can be realized when it is an external drive that (I assume) relies on a USB connection to actually bring the data over. If the drive is a backup space that you only use say every 2 weeks to 1 month, I would question if the advantages are big enough over a traditional HD. If it is a constantly connected backup system that makes a copy every time you have completed something, then it may make sense.

Niels

Solid state drives have faster access times and a higher cost per storage unit as far as I know. The question is to what extent the faster access can be realized when it is an external drive that (I assume) relies on a USB connection to actually bring the data over. If the drive is a backup space that you only use say every 2 weeks to 1 month, I would question if the advantages are big enough over a traditional HD. If it is a constantly connected backup system that makes a copy every time you have completed something, then it may make sense.

Thanks for your comments, Niels. I only backup sporadically so my main concern is longevity/reliability rather than speed though of course the faster the better. I've had a conventional external backup drive for several years and it's been very reliable so far (fingers crossed) though also very slow (USB1, I think) and it's getting full. I intend to keep on using it for important stuff with the new (and bigger) drive backing it up. One nice thing about the SS drives is their comparatively small size. Well, we'll see. . ..

At the present price point, SSDs are unsuited to the purpose of data backup. They are pricey and smaller than HDs.They're great as boot and programme drives - I use them exclusively for that. For an external backup drive a large spinning platter drive is best. If you want smaller, there are plenty of USB bus-pwered 2.5" drives available. They are very suitable too.

Alan

Thanks for your comments, Niels. I only backup sporadically so my main concern is longevity/reliability rather than speed though of course the faster the better. I've had a conventional external backup drive for several years and it's been very reliable so far (fingers crossed) though also very slow (USB1, I think) and it's getting full. I intend to keep on using it for important stuff with the new (and bigger) drive backing it up. One nice thing about the SS drives is their comparatively small size. Well, we'll see. . ..

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back