• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 for ID! Algarve Portugal. (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

Pics 1 & 2. Spotted Redshank?

Pics 3 & 4. Thekla or Crested Lark? I am leaning towards Thekla with the distinct breast streaking.

Pic 5. Yellow-legged Gulls?

Help with ID's will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• P1190649 [].JPG
    P1190649 [].JPG
    110 KB · Views: 118
  • P1190654 [].JPG
    P1190654 [].JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 105
  • P1190418 [].JPG
    P1190418 [].JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 126
  • P1190423 [].JPG
    P1190423 [].JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 100
  • P1190347 [].JPG
    P1190347 [].JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 121
Redshank is Common. I'll pass on the lark from these photos. Yellow-legged Gull seems right as far as I can see.

Hi Pam,

Pics 1 & 2. Common Redshank - bill, neck and legs too short for Spotted and legs not dark enough.

Pics 3 & 4. I agree on Thekla Lark

Pic 5. I agree on Yellow-legged Gulls of various ages, although upper bird maybe a Lesser-Black-backed, 1st-2nd yr.

Pity we didn't meet up after meeting your birding parents - could have given you some local info esp re Sagres.

Best wishes

Simon

Tip for spotted redshank Pam is to look at the end of the beak. There's a small downcurve, looks a little bit like there's a drop of water waiting to fall.

I agree on the lark id, the gulls are a different country, if they aren't in full adult plumage I'm absolutely hamstrung.

Redshank is Common. I'll pass on the lark from these photos. Yellow-legged Gull seems right as far as I can see.

Thank you very much for your help Ola!:t:

Hi Pam,

Pics 1 & 2. Common Redshank - bill, neck and legs too short for Spotted and legs not dark enough.

Pics 3 & 4. I agree on Thekla Lark

Pic 5. I agree on Yellow-legged Gulls of various ages, although upper bird maybe a Lesser-Black-backed, 1st-2nd yr.

Pity we didn't meet up after meeting your birding parents - could have given you some local info esp re Sagres.

Best wishes

Simon

Thanks a lot for your help Simon!:t:

You have me and Emma mixed up Simon.lol!
Hopefully Emma will have the pleasure of a days birding with you sometime in the future!

Tip for spotted redshank Pam is to look at the end of the beak. There's a small downcurve, looks a little bit like there's a drop of water waiting to fall.

I agree on the lark id, the gulls are a different country, if they aren't in full adult plumage I'm absolutely hamstrung.

Thanks for that pointer Keith!:t: I am also stuck when they are in full plumage, so no hope for me.lol!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back