• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tubenose Love (1 Viewer)

SueO

Hi All,
Wasn't sure I should put this under Seawatch, Bird Behavior or where, but I thought I would put it up because I think the birds are so cute. It's just a short YouTube of a pair of Galapagos Shearwaters that landed on Peregrine while we were about 10 miles off the coast of El Salvador.
I tried my hardest to hold the camera still, but the boat was up and down and sideways even though the seas were pretty flat and there was little wind. We had the engine going and the sound on the video wasn't very nice so I added Boccherini for sound. YouTube said I might have advertisements with the music. If the ads are obnoxious, I may have to revert to diesel hum. The birds looked so much smaller up close than what I thought as I saw them at a distance (about 11 inches/28cm). We had been seeing flotillas of them for days, but they were always too far for good views. They often flew around the boat, but they are fast and it was hard to see them well with the motion of the boat and a sail or line or something always in the way. It was really a treat to have them come aboard. They did several times. The first time, they woke me on my off-watch sleep with funny squabbling calls. They were under the dink right next to the forward hatch; just over my head. It sounded like they were fighting. Several tried to get under the dink when they landed. They were very awkward when the walked (crept). These two individuals didn't seem to be in fighting mode.

http://youtu.be/QbAklHrhkRk

Thanks, Kits. I really got a kick of these birds. I wish the video were better! We also saw hundreds of Olive Ridley turtles and many had hitchhikers. Here are two photos. One is a Masked Booby, the other a Black Tern.

Attachments

• DSC07413-001.JPG
    DSC07413-001.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC07424-001.JPG
    DSC07424-001.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back