• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Yorkshire Roast: Turtle Dove? (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Out along dusty tracks in the heat of a scorcher of an afternoon - birds quietened by the still burn of it - butterflies thick amongst the heath: Meadow browns, Ringlets, Small heaths, Tortoiseshells, Red Admirals and Large whites filling the air, searching for mates, flickering along the lanes.

Sheep lie along the North facing side of a stone wall in shadow, and in the valleys the cows move to the shadows of shading trees. The glint of water invites.

Out towards the coast in the far distance dark clouds skirt the horizon fifty miles and more away.

Swallows sit on wires, Yellowhammers sing half songs lazily in the heat, a Kestrel hovers against the hill where the air still moves. Mistle thrushes, as pallid as the dusty earth, rattle their calls out into the thick air.

I follow Mandy's lovely legs to our vantage point where we sit and watch Swifts, when, once , just once, the purr of a Turtle Dove ripples from the scrubby hillside below. The dreamy afternoon drowses and I wonder if I really heard what I'm sure I did.

Lovely stuff!

In this crazy, squabbling world your words are a welcome escape, especially when it's been raining without a break here for 36hours!

Merci beaucoup!

Out along dusty tracks in the heat of a scorcher of an afternoon - birds quietened by the still burn of it - butterflies thick amongst the heath: Meadow browns, Ringlets, Small heaths, Tortoiseshells, Red Admirals and Large whites filling the air, searching for mates, flickering along the lanes.

Sheep lie along the North facing side of a stone wall in shadow, and in the valleys the cows move to the shadows of shading trees. The glint of water invites.

Out towards the coast in the far distance dark clouds skirt the horizon fifty miles and more away.

Swallows sit on wires, Yellowhammers sing half songs lazily in the heat, a Kestrel hovers against the hill where the air still moves. Mistle thrushes, as pallid as the dusty earth, rattle their calls out into the thick air.

I follow Mandy's lovely legs to our vantage point where we sit and watch Swifts, when, once , just once, the purr of a Turtle Dove ripples from the scrubby hillside below. The dreamy afternoon drowses and I wonder if I really heard what I'm sure I did.

Absolutely class,

Damian.

Great writing, it reminds me of yesterday afternoon on La Janda Cadiz temp. 33 C and hardly a bird in sight.Where do they go?Just one turtle dove to grace our presence where normally dozens would be seen.Interesting The Canary Island´s Government has banned the shooting of turtle doves and now the campaign is underway for the rest of Spain to follow.We can only hope and that way you may see more of these delightful birds in the UK:...Eddy

A perfect description of those lazy, hazy summer days.

Thanks H2, you took me right outside to the days when I was fit enough to walk in the hills and dales.

Hearing that Turtle Dove must have topped off what must have already been a wonderful day.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back