• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Villafafila lacoons in March (Spain) (1 Viewer)

arodris

Hi,

Once again visiting Villafáfila, the mecca in Spain to see great bustards.

You can see the complete list of species, and pictures in my blog.

As always, Villafáfila was really interesting. The landscape was incredible, with all the fields with beautiful green colours. The rain during the previous days was intense, which made that not only the fields, but also the lacoons were full of water, and so, also of life. And great bustards were all around in the fields.

Our first stop was in the lacoons around the information center. They were full of species, and as a rarety, at least for me, there was a greater scaup. We also enjoyed with our first lesser kestrels, and I took some pictures to some of the captive great bustards.

Near the Barillos lacoon there is a white stork colony nesting in trees. From there, I managed to locate the groups of great bustards. Later we moved to the unpaved roads nearby to try to see them better.

Finally, in the abandoned village of Otero de Sariegos, we saw the breeding colony of lesser kestrels. In the Laguna Grande, ducks were really abundant (shelduck, northern shoveler,..).

Before sunset, we moved to the Sta. María de Moreruela monastery (see my blog for details). This is building dating back from 12th-13th century, located near the village of Granja de Moreruela. It is located at about 25 minutes by car from Villafáfila. To its cultural importance, it adds the interest to have a breeding colony of white stork in its walls, and a nearby colony in trees of grey herons, night-herons and some kites of both species.

Regards,

Antonio

Thanks for sharing, Antonio!
Very interesting info about where to see bustards. I have never seen one.
I also have took a quick look to your blog, and I feel very interesting. I will put in my favourits.
Greetings.
Galileo.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back