• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slimbridge - hide etiquette (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
Had an intreresting trip to Slimbridge when at the 'outlaws' a couple of weeks ago. I had my 3 and 5 year old daughters with me. They loved the otters and feeding geese, ducks etc.

The Arctic Terns were great as was a suprise Little Egret. However, we really wanted to see the Cranes (well I did). We went to explore the hides where they are nest building.

With no sign of the Cranes my 3 year old took matters into her own hands, put her head out of the window and shouted, at the top of her voice, "Cranes, where are you?". The pond emptied of all wildlife and we quickly exited.

Priceless.....

Sorry if you were in the hide that afternoon.

With no sign of the Cranes my 3 year old took matters into her own hands, put her head out of the window and shouted, at the top of her voice, "Cranes, where are you?". The pond emptied of all wildlife and we quickly exited.

Did she flush the Cranes by any chance;)

I bet that went down well RB. I was in the Zeiss hide earlier in the year and there was just something about it - it felt like a lack of tolerance sort of thing. I had a quick look at the Cranes and then left.

Rich

Had a similar experience a year or so back, when a non-birder photographer friend of ours dropped the lens cap through the viewing point in the hide. She said to my wife that there was a gap whereby she could retrieve the lenscap. My wife thought no more of it but the next thing was this non-birder friend was in front of the hide. She had meant a "Gap" in the screen, not just a gap that she could stick her hand through to retrieve the lens cap.....same result, everything on the lake flew off.

Kids eh? I don't know about anyone else, but if a small child gets really excited in a hide I don't seem to mind (I might, mentally, rant to myself - just a little bit ), it's when they are obviously out of control that gets to me - or they are (allegedly) adults. Excitement and wonder are a necessary part of a kids life and miserable old buggers should try and remember what it was like to be that young.

Chris

Kids eh? I don't know about anyone else, but if a small child gets really excited in a hide I don't seem to mind (I might, mentally, rant to myself - just a little bit ), it's when they are obviously out of control that gets to me - or they are (allegedly) adults. Excitement and wonder are a necessary part of a kids life and miserable old buggers should try and remember what it was like to be that young.

Chris

Hear hear. So long as they also get reminded..... in my day you got smacked for inappropriate behaviour.

John

Chris

So true.....I can forgive the tiny ones as they're still at that lovely stage of being excited about the world and all the fabulous bugs and beasties in it! We need to cultivate that in them and make sure it stays with them for life :t: I would have just burst out laughing at the little girl's enthusiasm....even if I'd been watching a lifer :-O

Out of control kids with their numpty parents who couldn't care less about discipline though.....:storm: It really bugs me that discipline of any kind has become something to be avoided at all costs :smoke:

We had been in other hides and been very well behaved. Because of that I had no premonition that this was going to happen! The screen fence with the feeders definately got some wows from the girls.

It wasn't a 'disciplining' (beating) offence although we did leave the hide very quickly out of respect of the other birders.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back