• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conquest 32 mm owners thread / reliability, durablity (1 Viewer)

Hello all,

Although this isn't exactly the point of the thread, I was wondering how the eye-relief on the 8x32's worked with eyeglass wearers? I've only been able to test the 8x42s from Refuge visitors and the 10x42s in stores, but it is the 8x32s I'm particularly interested due to their compact nature being a solid complement to my full-sized 7x and 10x binoculars.

All the best,
Justin

Hello all,

Although this isn't exactly the point of the thread, I was wondering how the eye-relief on the 8x32's worked with eyeglass wearers? I've only been able to test the 8x42s from Refuge visitors and the 10x42s in stores, but it is the 8x32s I'm particularly interested due to their compact nature being a solid complement to my full-sized 7x and 10x binoculars.

All the best,
Justin

Hey Justin

I wear glasses and have tried the Conq HD 32s several times now and have no problems at all with them. They are just terrific bins at a great price. If I didn't have a pair of FL 8x32s I would have a pair of these like a shot, in fact I would really like a pair anyway.........B :)

Lee

I've put a few people here on ignore otherwise I'd leave this place altogether...

I'm reminded of the saying, "Get a life!", when I think of these 3-4 endless posters.

CSG

You know when your momma used to say "if you cain't say nuthin' nice, don't say nuthin' at all" ?

She was right. :smoke:

Lee

Hey Justin

I wear glasses and have tried the Conq HD 32s several times now and have no problems at all with them. They are just terrific bins at a great price. If I didn't have a pair of FL 8x32s I would have a pair of these like a shot, in fact I would really like a pair anyway.........B :)

Lee

Lee,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have found that 15mm, the ER quoted for many 10x42 and 8x32mm configurations, is often too little to see the full field. I've not really tried many with a 16mm spec, but have found 17mm to be sufficient.

All the best,
Justin

Lee,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have found that 15mm, the ER quoted for many 10x42 and 8x32mm configurations, is often too little to see the full field. I've not really tried many with a 16mm spec, but have found 17mm to be sufficient.

All the best,
Justin

Justin

The ER figures from the manufacturers are certainly a guide to usability but they are only a rough guide.

A generous ER might seem to offer a guarantee of usability but not so: if the eyecup doesn't put your eye in the right place then it doesn't matter how generous the ER is. Contrariwise what seems like skimpy ER like the 16mm of my FL 8x32s can work just fine if the eyecup and ER 'co-operate' fully.

And of course just when you work out roughly what ER works OK, you go and get a new pair of glasses with different frames and off you go all over again.

Whatever the ER figures say, try before you buy is the only reliable guide.

Lee

Lee,

I'd agree, although unfortunately none of the sports optics retailers nearby have the 8x32 configuration of the Conquest HD stocked. Given these stores mostly focus to hunters, 10x42 is typically what can be found, with a small number of 8x42s and x50/56s thrown in for good measure.

Justin

jremmons:

In Zeiss you can trust, in regard to eye relief anyway. I too wear eyeglasses. Zeiss's 16 mm is the longest, most comfortable 16 mm that I've ever encountered. Unless your eyeglasses are thicker then the olde time Coke-a-Cola glass bottle bottoms, Zeiss's 16 mm of eye relief should work very nicely for you. Incidently, in contrast, the shortest 18 mm that I've ever encountered was on the mercifully now defunct Burris Signature 8x32's.

bearclawthedonut

Lee: I honestly don't know; I've only been down here in south TX since late-September when I began my job. I've stopped in at the stores I've seen such as Bass Pro Shops to no avail.

bearclaw: thanks as well for your experiences; I posted an image of my glasses in a recent Leica thread I started to give an example; the glass itself isn't very thick since it is primarily used to correct heavy astigmatism and more mild myoipa, but my frames are large and square and don't conform to my face and sit a solid 5mm from my eyes, I'd estimate.

All the best,
Justin

Justin

This may not work for you, but when I push my bins up to my glasses they (the glasses) ride up the bridge of my nose somewhat. I mean they get closer to my eyes and so reduce the amount of ER I require.

When I take the bins away the glasses slip back down my nose to their normal position.

I wonder if this happens to you?

Lee

I posted an image of my glasses in a recent Leica thread I started to give an example; the glass itself isn't very thick since it is primarily used to correct heavy astigmatism and more mild myoipa, but my frames are large and square and don't conform to my face and sit a solid 5mm from my eyes, I'd estimate.

Sounds as though your glasses aren't really ideal for using them with binoculars (or scopes, for that matter). The question is whether getting glasses that are smaller and conform to your face better might not actually be cheaper than getting binoculars that work with your glasses. I know a few people who did just that, they got glasses for birding.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back