• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not sure it's ok to ask this...but... (1 Viewer)

Metermaid

Hi, apart from birding my other raison d'etre is a Science Tech at a school. I recently set up a small colony of Thorny Stick Insects (I am getting to the point honest !)..... as I say not sure if my question is ok because I know questions about captive birds are not allowed - not sure if same applies to captive insects. In case it doesn't I would like to know if anyone can enlighten me about the mechanism these insects use to walk - I notice when they walk across my skin that they ' stick' to me - but only until they are ready to move a limb when the 'foot' lets go - I can feel this, does the foot have some sort of sucker which the insect controls? - I find them fascinating creatures, they are the first animals withing the department and the interest which the children are showing is really heartening.

Thanks for any replies

Rita

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back