• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heron ID (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
Could this be anything other than a Grey Heron? The pics were taken recently on Bermuda and it would be the first for the island.

Thanks

Attachments

• GRHE1.jpg
    GRHE1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 291
  • GRHE2.jpg
    GRHE2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 296
Well, to me, it looks like a fledgling or a young nestling. But the bill is way too large for a youngster, IMHO.

Sorry - but its way too heavy billed for Grey Heron... not au fait with juv. Great Blue, but I bet that is what it is.

Attachments

• BF.JPG
    BF.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 279
For a moment I was thinking Grey Heron or a juv. White-necked Heron (Ardea cocoi). Wouldn't that be a spectacular find in Bermuda! I'm now thinking either a juv. or adult Great Blue, possibly from N. South America/S. West Indies. I've seen very similar birds on some of the Islands off N. SA. They varied from normal through white, with every possible shade & combination in between. That would explain the thigh colour, which seems to be paler than would be expected on any NA birds including "Wurdeman's", regardless of age.

Hal

Looks like a very young GBH to me, possibly just pre-fledge, with that still-streaky breast and cap. The bill size is okay; young GBHs are all beak and legs. Is there any reason to think this isn't a GBH?

Attached is a GBH chick literally taking its first step off the nest (to the photo's left but out of frame) and two wing-flaps later, it was airborne for its maiden flight to another tree about 200 yards away. While the breast streaking is still there, the cap is more solid and the warmer blush is starting to appear (missing in Brian's younger bird). Apologies for the poor scan.

Attachments

• GBH-BF.jpg
    GBH-BF.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 216
If it is a Great Blue, why is there no brown on the thighs? KP's pic does show that, Brian's doesn't.

Can Great Blue ever have pale grey thighs?

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
If it is a Great Blue, why is there no brown on the thighs? KP's pic does show that, Brian's doesn't.

Can Great Blue ever have pale grey thighs?

Michael
Good point. The adults that I've photo'd all have that warm blush on their thighs (as in the attached), as well as more rufous on the "shoulders." The two shots I have of a pre-fledge in the nest don't show that, but the light is so poor that even scanned and bumped up, it was (to me) inconclusive as to blush or no blush. GBH plumage changes drastically in a short amount of time, from nestling to fledgling stages, and the younger birds don't have any warm coloration to them at all; they're all varying shades of gray and white (2nd photo).

Attachments

• GBH1-BF.jpg
    GBH1-BF.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 203
  • GBH2-BF.jpg
    GBH2-BF.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 189
Jane Turner said:
Just a thought... wonder what a juvy one of these looks like

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=9451

Cocoi Heron - taken on Trinidad

An understandable thought, though me being very familiar with that species; the first photo isn't one of those. Already when very young (pre-fledge), Cocoi show a larger area of bare skin in the face and the cap is also much more distinct, already in juv's it's completely dark - as in adults.

The origin of the birds alone gives us the ID; one thing is if an adult Cocoi or Grey made it that far away from "home", that would quite certainly be possible; but we are talking at least two individuals, and then they should meet up and breed!!! Anyway, it fits fine with pre-fledge Great Blue Heron...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back