• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone identify this night-peeping bird? (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone!

First post here.

I know this thread is old but I came across this forum trying to identify a bird which has a sound really similar to your recordings. Here's the link to my recording:

https://soundcloud.com/loiseauson/foretouareau

I didn't see the birds but the sound was coming from the trees and it doesn't sound like spring peepers to my ear.

If someone have the answer, please help!
Thank you very much!

Strange than 7 new members have posted only once here and never again...

Sometimes life is strange but hey, what can we do?! ;)

Yes, very bizarre - a mystery indeed just like this bird ;)

I doubt it's students having a laugh with us, but it is extremely peculiar - again, just like this bird ha ha

If you have a look at my SoundCloud page, you might find out I'm a professional sound recordist and a new birder, discovering the fabulous avian world and nature through soundscapes and species recording!

Hope someone can help with the bird! Thanks

They still all sound like Spring Peepers to me. Swainson's Thrush nocturnal flight call is vaguely similar but never so strident.

Andy

It's just the thrills that they constantly do that makes me doubt about being spring peepers. I haven't came across recordings of peepers with so many thrills...

Sometimes life is strange but hey, what can we do?! ;)

If you have a look at my SoundCloud page, you might find out I'm a professional sound recordist and a new birder, discovering the fabulous avian world and nature through soundscapes and species recording!

Hope someone can help with the bird! Thanks

It wasn't a slight on you, sorry. It's just that all of a sudden a number of people registered just to post once so it does make you think that they could have been trolling or having a laugh.

I don't doubt it that this bird is indeed a mystery and it's all very interesting and exciting and I hope you do find an answer :t:

It's just that all of a sudden a number of people registered just to post once so it does make you think that they could have been trolling or having a laugh.

Though look at the dates of all those first-time posts, they span several years! But it is a surprising number of first-time posters for a single thread.

My guess is that one of the earlier posters put a link to here on some prominent website - that'll pull in 'outside' viewers.

@ Jocelyn - for curiosity's sake, how did you discover this thread, please?

My guess is that one of the earlier posters put a link to here on some prominent website - that'll pull in 'outside' viewers.

@ Jocelyn - for curiosity's sake, how did you discover this thread, please?

After hours of researching what could be the bird or the frog, I typer "bird that sound like spring peeper" in google!

I was aware it was an old thread but I took the chance to post anyway!

Hi,

"Spring Peeper Bird" gives me this thread as second-ranking Google result, so outside visitors should be expected :)

I noticed that odd sounds in the night generate draws new users into a German bird forum regularly, where they make their first post enquiring about bird calls usually attributable to Long-eared Owl juveniles begging for food.

Accordingly, I don't think this thread is particularly odd, considering that no easy answer is evident, and first-time posters with a particular question that doesn't get answered probably give up after a while and don't return.

I'll admit that it's slightly odd that they manage to post in the correct thread, but with the great Google ranking of this thread for fairly obvious search terms, it seems entirely plausible.

And now that I've read about the mystery "peep", I'd like to know which bird is responsible, too! :)

Jane's spectrogram looks like it might help to find an answer - is there a source for spectrograms of American birds? For Germany there's Bergmann/Helb/Baumann, but I don't know if anything like this exists for other regions as well ...

Regards,

Henning

Have the same thing here in central Michigan. I know it is a late post(years) but I finally saw the bird early at sunrise. It is either a Townsend solitaire, or a vireo like bird. Had a dominant ring around the eye. I found this site and joined as I am in the gaylord area and heard it again up here this eve. I was looking for the actual name, but I will go back in my bird book and look again. Hope this helps a little.

Found this forum while trying to figure out what was peeping up here in the UP. Using the Cornell Merlin app and the Audobon website, I believe we are hearing a Sora.
https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/sora

They live near marshes(check), peep at night(check) and appear to be weak fliers(check). Note that they appear to be weak fliers but still migrate. Compare it to the call Cornell has for the chirp. Let me know what you think.

Not a spring peeper

Hello! First to allay any fears, I'm not trolling or a student pulling a prank. I found this thread in a Google search. My husband and I just started hearing this exact same sound at night. It's definitely not a spring peeper, as they've long gone silent by this time of year in Connecticut, plus we are quite familiar with their calls. We live in a very rural area and are pretty used to the evening bird calls, but this is a new one for us. It does move around quite a bit on the ground and in trees. I listened to the flying squirrels and the Sora, but they're not quite the same. Our best guess is that it is a young owl or a migratory bird that we're not familiar with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back