• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whitethroat? (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
Please bear with me as all these Warblers look so alike.
Watching a Warbler yesterday, Seemed to be flying around three different perching area's. Singing from perch and in flight. At times it would fly up quite high and flutter down like a sycamore seed. Attached is a collage of photo's. I think its a whitethroat but cannot find info on the fluttering down for this species.
Can anyone elucidate me ?.

Confused of Berks

Attachments

• whitethr.jpg
    whitethr.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 404
Definitely a Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat is markedly different. A delightful bird, I got my first list birds recently and saw three more on the same day! I really like these. Was the song a beautiful one?

Thanks to everyone for the confirmation of a Whitethroat.

Kevin
I saw this one at the Twyford Pits ( Park Lane, at gates between the two pits ), but nightingale, Garden Warbler, Whitethroat etc have been reported from Dinton this week. See "Bird News" on:
http://www.berksbirds.co.uk/

Lesser whitethroat is the only other common British bird with a 'white throat'--although reed warbler's throats can be almost white, they are unlikely to cause probs.
Lesser whitethroat has a warbling song which then gives way to a 'ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch' rattle, all on one note.
A few years ago I heard a whitethroat give an almost perfect imitation of the lesser's 'rattle', several times in successsion--so you have to exercise care in identifying them by song.

TOny

Later in the day on the gravel pit where I saw the Whitethroat, a hatch of flies occurred, and the air was full of Swallows and House Martins with a few Swifts and Sand Martins.

Stringer said:
errr......is it a plastic dipper?

Stringer

Now I understand. Just read the thread about the chinese water deer eating a football in an Essex garden which it mistook for a Chinese Mountain!8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back