• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths GB&I (1 Viewer)

Just getting back into trapping after a 'pause' (when I lent my trap to a friend). This oak lutestring was pretty much the only one that wouldn't be classified as ultra-common.
SE Surrey on night of 23rd.

Attachments

• oak lutestring ex IMG_5228 (800).JPG
    oak lutestring ex IMG_5228 (800).JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 100
Numbers noticeably decreasing now, 55 moths of 12 species last night including my first ever Black Rustic so well pleased with that. One of the species that I've been expecting since I started trapping but has taken a long time to show up.

Numbers here in Mallorca are still pretty good.
Last night 215 specimens of 62 species, plus 14 specimens still to identify.
Nothing outstanding but things like Porter's Rustic and Radford's Flame Shoulder were amongst the catch.
Martin

Enfield moth

This evening on our house window - I think this is the first time I've seen one of these and I couldn't find it in the moth book. Thanks to reading a post by Honeym above I think it's a Box Tree Moth (another alien species presumably becoming common in the London area?)

Attachments

• Box-tree Mothemail.JPG
    Box-tree Mothemail.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 114
This evening on our house window - I think this is the first time I've seen one of these and I couldn't find it in the moth book. Thanks to reading a post by Honeym above I think it's a Box Tree Moth (another alien species presumably becoming common in the London area?)

Yes it is is+ quite widespread around London. Saw my first free flying one yesterday behind the London Wetland Centre after seeing a potted specimen two weeks ago taken in Acton.

Recently it's also been recorded at Dungeness + Portland where it's thought to have flown from France where it's also established.

I can only agree with what aeshna5 says.
Some people I know have been getting double figures of this species in their traps and a friend had several larvae on his garden Box in Earlsfield.
Was the LWC one outside the perimeter? If not, I'll add it to me list as we've had several already at LWC.
It's recently been recorded here in the Balearic Islands where I am trapping at the moment.
Martin

Thank-you for the information guys. I've just remembered we have a small Box hedge in the front yard, so will look out for the larvae.

I can only agree with what aeshna5 says.
Some people I know have been getting double figures of this species in their traps and a friend had several larvae on his garden Box in Earlsfield.
Was the LWC one outside the perimeter? If not, I'll add it to me list as we've had several already at LWC.
It's recently been recorded here in the Balearic Islands where I am trapping at the moment.
Martin

It was just outside the perimeter of LWC on the estate to the north- probably c30 metres from the boundary. Saw another today on the north side of Chelsea Bridge.

Generally still crap but.........just caught my first ever Vestal, considering that I'm in Nottingham not Kent or Bristol, that's a good moth!

Chuffed!!!

Andy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back