Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 00:36   #126
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richken View Post
...This is the first night since getting these Canons that we have had a sky clear of clouds and I've just darted out mid reply to spent a few minutes looking at the stars. This really does show very clearly how fantastic the IS facility is! Without IS on it was totally useless hand holding, but on it was a transformation with the stars showing very clearly as well defined points of light which was a great relief to me...

Cheers Richard
Richard,

I believe your professional career in photography and printing services uniquely qualifies your observations and opinions in the optical realm. I shot semi-pro for 2-3 years around 2005 and greatly appreciated that I had Much to learn, but had no guidance or mentoring and consequently just amateur success. It was a lot of fun, still have all of my Canon L-glass. Now I'm retired and should jump back into it as an enjoyable hobby but alas, already have too many of them to support!

If possible, hang on to the 10X42L, putting it through its paces and trials. Your CA sensitivity may not go away, but the optical virtues it does present could smooth over and temper those issues, allowing full enjoyment of terrestrial and astronomical heavenly views!

Enjoy,

Ted
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 04:38   #127
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richken View Post
Thanks Ted.

Yes I did read your posts regarding your interesting viewing problem. I am reasonably reconciled to the prospect of having to ignore the CA that I am seeing in some subject/lighting situations. I very much appreciate reading the feedback from this forum where those posting to this thread have very more experience of the Canon 10x42L IS WP than I have and what is reasonable to expect.

Cheers Richard

Richard,

I had the opportunity to compare a Canon 10x42L IS WP with my Nikon 10x32 EDG for about 15 minutes while I was birding on the deck at Cape May Point, New Jersey a couple of years ago.

When the IS is on while using it I think it would be reasonable for you to expect the best hand held view you will ever have from any 10x binocular!

I could only approach its view with my Nikon 10x32 EDG when I braced both my elbows on the deck's railing while using it.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 06:47   #128
kabsetz

Richard,

I'd dare say that your problems with the Canon and CA come from your expertise in seeing and understanding CA combined with the fact that image stabilization allows one to much more easily see not just detail in the observed image but also any and all optical defects in the instrument.

I have directly compared the Canon 10x42 L IS with all the other top binoculars, and can say that you are not going to find a model that would have significantly less CA. For a CA-free view, you need to view with one of the few premium spotting scopes available, and at low enough magnifications.

Kimmo
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 19:43   #129
BigWok

I bet it has to do the IPD setting..... The eyecups shape and diameter of them plus the lack of a simple center hinge make getting the IPD on the Canon more difficult. I also experienced lots of CA on my first go with the Canon 10x42.

Here is a tip and how I set the IPD on all my bins.

I look at a CA problem area (bare branches, telephone lines, roof edges, etc.) and move the IPD in and out until I get the best CA free center field image.
Its amazing how much 1mm or less in IPD can make on CA performance.
FWIW I find the Canon 10x42 is excellent at controlling CA, and when it comes to CA its better than my Nikon SE 10x42.....
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: