• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumn Olive...something I may consider planting...pros and cons (1 Viewer)

cadillactaste

I was admiring a bush near the front entrance of our lake. It is growing in the oddest place. Atop a boulder...so not planted by man.

Then noticed same shrub on property we recently purchased near us. Considering transplanting it...but it says it is invasive. Which does concern me a bit.

Though what intrigues me is that it bares edible fruit! Thought the birds may enjoy that!

Located the name from gardenweb.com...after sharing a photo in "Name that plant" section.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 145
Nothing at all wrong with just about any Eleagnus species or variety - they look good, grow well and quickly but not too big (maybe to 20'? if left alone after a few years), can be trimmed if desired and many varieties are attractive (to humans) because some have somewhat silvery leaves and the reddish fruit, and although I can't say I've seen any birds eating them I have sampled some and they aren't bad...I have seen several different species of birds making nests in them, so they are attractive to wildlife as well.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaeagnus

I have planted probably a dozen of different varieties in several different places I've lived and all have done well. Most recently, ones I've bought only about 1'-2' high have grown in 8-9 years to be about 7' high and across but that's because of trimming - they'd undoubtedly be at least twice that big without cutting them back, which I have to do maybe 3-4 times a year if I want them to look nice. Others that I've just let grow look fine, too. So they are a good addition to just about any landscape, I think.

Last edited:
Gardenweb.com a member says I'll be enabling the invasive plant moving next the bird feeding area. So maybe not a good thing...though they'll eat the berries off the other shrubs around the area.

Nothing at all wrong with just about any Eleagnus species or variety - they look good, grow well and quickly but not too big (maybe to 20'? if left alone after a few years), can be trimmed if desired and many varieties are attractive (to humans) because some have somewhat silvery leaves and the reddish fruit, and although I can't say I've seen any birds eating them I have sampled some and they aren't bad...I have seen several different species of birds making nests in them, so they are attractive to wildlife as well.

I have planted probably a dozen of different varieties in several different places I've lived and all have done well. Most recently, ones I've bought only about 1'-2' high have grown in 8-9 years to be about 7' high and across but that's because of trimming - they'd undoubtedly be at least twice that big without cutting them back, which I have to do maybe 3-4 times a year if I want them to look nice. Others that I've just let grow look fine, too. So they are a good addition to just about any landscape, I think.

See your for it...everyone will have their own opinion I guess. I live next to a ravine where they are allowed to toss leaves and branches. The idea of something producing fruit and hiding that area was a plus. Also figured it would look natural to the native nature around...Hm-mmm I thought it a pretty shrub. May still consider it. Thanks!

Gardenweb.com a member says I'll be enabling the invasive plant moving next the bird feeding area. So maybe not a good thing...though they'll eat the berries off the other shrubs around the area.

I don't understand how it is "invasive" - I have one right next to where I feed birds and it's no problem at all, in fact it provides a handy platform for them to check the area out. The bush has shown no tendency to "invade" anything - I wish I could say the same about the ubiquitous Privet (Ligustrum species) that springs up everywhere here and never stops!

The poster says the birds will eat it and spread it. So I guess through their droppings...seeds are distributed all over the place.

The poster says the birds will eat it and spread it. So I guess through their droppings...seeds are distributed all over the place.

I have not had that happen with the ones I've planted, though I guess it's certainly possible - after all the mechanism whereby birds eat fruits and spread the seeds is one of the main means of dispersion of many plants!

Here's a picture of the fruits of the ones I currently have - they are not eaten by the birds as far as I can tell, certainly not to any great degree as there are always plenty on the bushes for me! That's not normally the case for edible fruits eaten by both Man and wildlife - we humans nowadays have to be pretty quick to get to the fruits before the critters...the birds around here strip everything else quite bare before I get a chance...

Attachments

• Eleagnus_fruit_20080329_003s.jpg
    Eleagnus_fruit_20080329_003s.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Thanks for the photo...maybe not as a tasty treat. Thus why the berries last through until almost end of winter.

Your having it near your feeding station offering a better fare...maybe another reason the berries aren't touched.

Thanks again!!! I am highly considering moving this plant to the hillside.

Autumn Olive is invasive and I would not promote it's spread. It is eaten by a few bird species and they easily spread it far and wide. Being non-native, it has few insect pests. Once established it tends to thrive and displace native species. Birds that feed on insects will not be seen on Autumn Olive, there is nothing there for them to eat. There is also evidence of increased nest parasitism by Brown-headed Cowbirds in nests in Autumn Olive.

Habitats with a large percentage of Autumn Olive are not good bird habitats in general.

My opinion, Mike

Autumn Olive is invasive and I would not promote it's spread. It is eaten by a few bird species and they easily spread it far and wide. Being non-native, it has few insect pests. Once established it tends to thrive and displace native species. Birds that feed on insects will not be seen on Autumn Olive, there is nothing there for them to eat. There is also evidence of increased nest parasitism by Brown-headed Cowbirds in nests in Autumn Olive.

Habitats with a large percentage of Autumn Olive are not good bird habitats in general.

My opinion, Mike
Thanks Mike...your opinion and the fact we have those birds here at our feeders will make me easily choose another selection!

Well then my alternate choice are actually two...

This one I admire in another person's yard as I drive home from town...
http://southerngarden.weebly.com/fountain-butterfly-bush.html

This one my husband likes at the neighbors house at the main entrance to the lake we here we live...
http://www.naturehills.com/bushes-and-shrubs/weigela-shrubs/weigela-pink-princess

These are two I am considering...heading to the nursery over the weekend...for one of them. And a short long flowering shrub to plant in front of my small decorative birdhouse/picket fence that is located on the patio feeding station. Figure I'll let the people who know plants steer me in the right direction for that.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back