• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Handholding lenses (1 Viewer)

Evenin' all.

I found this tonight.

See picture no. 3?

Well I've never seen that trick, and so I've just tried it out.

It really works. It's miles steadier than my usual handholding technique, which isn't too bad to start with.

I'll have a proper "in the field" crack at it tomorrow, but I thought it was worth sharing now, because it's very good.

Another technique - but if you don´t have hair .... then you have a problem.. :)
handholding.jpg

Strange, they also mentioned drawing your breath first, I read on another site that before snipers pull the trigger they breath in, out, then fire. I wonder which is best then, breath in and shoot or breath out?

I used to target shoot with an air rifle. We breathed in and held our breath to make the shot.
I used to use a similar holding technique (with air rifle) as position 3. It was really effective.
A variation is to sit down and have your forearm across your knees to rest the lens on. May not be so very stable for a camera though.

Another technique - but if you don´t have hair .... then you have a problem.. :)
View attachment 108200

Hi Websurfer,

I do have hair so no problem there, but it took me a liitle while to realise that either you posted a reversed image or are left-handed, which I am not!

When I'd sorted that out, I can report that whilst it probably makes me look like a total numpty, I was able to hold the camera steady better than in any other position. As someone has said, left or right eye dominance will be an issue (in this position I am forced to use my left, non-dominant, eye) but I think I could quite easily get used to it.

Thanks for your tip.

Adrian

Last edited:
I have studied the photo to see how you have placed your arms and hands, but for the life of me I can't see how you would press the shutter, I can see your fingers around your left elbow.

Christine,

See my last post - I now think my comment about being left-handed was nonsense, but I wasn't far off with the one about "reversed image" as I think the picture must have been taken in a mirror, don't you?

Adrian

Yes definitely taken in a mirror but I can't see any way he can get near the shutter or hold the camera.
P.S Forget what I previously wrote I have just taken the photo into CS and can now see how the other other arm is holding the camera. I will have to have a go at that method, as I have short arms and the other method is awkward.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back