• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cley Spy ED50 Case - don't bother! (1 Viewer)

Talusman

Ordered the Cley Spy case from the UK because I thought it looked like a great accessory for my ED50 scope. When it arrived, not only was the quality far below what I expected for $80 (shipped), when I put the scope in it I found that the opening for the focus knob interferes with the focuser. the result is that the smooth focuser of the ED50 is converted to a binding, catchy affair that's difficult to move with one finger. I've made two attempts to resew the opening to give a bit more room, and have only been able to get it to be barely satisfactory. Really, test the design before you send it off to be manufactured. Keep the case away from the focuser - there's no need to go anywhere near it!

Bottom line - I wouldn't recommend the Cley Spy stay-on case for the ED50 - even at 1/2 the price.

-Jeremy

Hi Jeremy
I have a Cley Spy stay on case on my ED50 and its a perfect fit. I also know others that have them and have never heard them complain of a problem... maybe yours got through quality control.
Jon

Hi Jeremy
I have a Cley Spy stay on case on my ED50 and its a perfect fit. I also know others that have them and have never heard them complain of a problem... maybe yours got through quality control.
Jon

Hi Jeremy
Sorry to hear you've had such trouble with the stay-on-case - how disappointing. I have to say that, like Jon, I bought mine from Cley Spy some years ago and it has been superb. No complaints at all. Fits like a glove and protects the scope very well. Perhaps their quality has gone down since I bought mine.
Good luck in sourcing an alternative or perhaps getting Cley Spy to supply another example.
Hobbes

Thanks for the responses.

So when on your scope, the fabric doesn't touch the rubber focus knob at all?

I did notice that the emblem on mine is green - not brown like in the picture on the website. Perhaps they went to a different ODM and quality hasn't been kept up?

Anyway, glad some got a nice case!

-Jeremy

Ive had mine less than 12 months and is the green emblem the same as yours.. the fabric on mine is close to the focus knob but not touching..

Jon

Jeremy here is what I did. This really feels good to the touch and good for griping the little 50ED. Two layers. This can be just removed if need be. The inner layer is white light wt. packing foam.

Jeremy if you could post some pictures that might help.

Attachments

• Wrapping ED50 camo 003 (800x532).jpg
    Wrapping ED50 camo 003 (800x532).jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 496
  • Wrapping ED50 camo 001 (800x532).jpg
    Wrapping ED50 camo 001 (800x532).jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Hi Jumbo, Yes, that is what this is. Second picture shows the container. I added the white foam under the tape for more protection. This "tape" does have a slight smell, I just tried smelling the ED50 and it seems to be less now. It never bothered me in the first place. I just thought I would bring that up. Very easy to use. I don't really like like this camo pattern but found a good deal on it.

Hi Talusman,

I had the same problem with my Cley Spy case when I bought it. I thought about enlarging the hole and re-sewing the edge, but eventually solved it with a shoe lace wrapped two or three times round the body and tied tightly with a reef knot. This holds the case away from the underside of the focusing knob - see attached thumbnail.

Regards

Mark

Attachments

• Cley Spy Case.jpg
    Cley Spy Case.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 289
Both good solutions. My third attempt at enlargening and re-sewing the opening seems successful. Still get a little rub below from bunching fabric, so will try a rubber band around the objective barrel underneath the focuser to keep the fabric down.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back