• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zac Hinchcliffe's Bird Photo Quiz (1 Viewer)

1. Great black backed gull (smaller)

2. Spotted flycatcher(no! It is much bigger, almost if not Jackdaw sized - It would give it away if I said the Family, but this was seen earlier in the year in Lancashire and is really rare bird, but not (well Scarce) for England...)3. Hawfinch. (getting pretty close - similar colour...)

4. Dunnock (yep, but we know already)

5. Black tailed godwit or Curlew. (smaller)

My guesses:

1. Mediterranean Gull
2. Turtle Dove
3. I was thinking of Magpie, but is it coloured like a Hawfinch???
5. Redshank (well, a Redshank has a barred tail, but maybe the bars just aren't visible...)

1 - yes
2 - no, afraid not, but you're getting the right idea!
3 - no - the bird has the general colour of Hawfinch, but a Winter Migrant
4 - Yes - Very good!

Not Bad at all - 2 to go though!

So many pics, the one that's come through from the first post is a waxwing, there's a bit of a crest in the bottom corner, the gull flying away is Caspian at a guess.

So many pics, the one that's come through from the first post is a waxwing, there's a bit of a crest in the bottom corner, the gull flying away is Caspian at a guess.

obviously very tired, the gull's already been id'd!! woops!

Your Correct with Waxwing, that was a stupidly difficult 1!
Here They are...
Now all we need is this one, then we can move on!

Attachments

• IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1563.JPG
    IMG_1563.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 61
Give us a clue, I can see everything in that pic from wryneck to great spotted cuckoo to golden plover!!

It's a Hard one isn't it!
I'm Afraid Wheatear is wrong. the bird is much bigger. They like to share farms with Rabbits...(this would make more sense to the english Quizzers!)

Zac

I'm Afraid not - If I give the clue away of the Family, it would be giving it away - but i'll say they have close relatives with big versions of a hoopoe's bill!

Thats just giving it away!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!
Finally...I thought you'd never get it! (This is the Pressall, Lancs Bird)

Next Set of Pics

Attachments

• IMG_2360_.JPG
    IMG_2360_.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1577_2.JPG
    IMG_1577_2.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3075.jpg
    IMG_3075.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 23456.jpg
    23456.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I was just about to guess Stone curlew on that other one, as i looked at it from a distance, but someone beat me to it!
-
1: Sedge warbler

2: Wheatear

3: Sedge warbler

4: Nightingale or Garden warbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back