• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My 1DMK3 has Died (1 Viewer)

GYRob

yep its dead erro 99 i tried quite a few things new card battery's out and back in again sevrel times but just says erro 99
sending it back AGAIN and the AF Canon fixed is still not fixed so they can look at that too.
although iv had some great shots with this camera its the worst camera for being reliable iv ever had.
Rob.

Read a thread on another internet site and the guy was on his third MK3 the other 2 having suffered with error99.Canons image in the professional market must be starting to suffer soon if they dont get this model sorted out it seems a lot of owner are having trouble with this model.Hope you get yours sorted ok Rob.

Aye, they're not exactly covering themselves in glory - I can't help but wonder if the constant clamour from users for new models is why manufacturers feel obliged to release kit too early.

There are a few reports of Error 99 on the 40D too (he said, touching every bit of wood within reach...).

Wonder if they'll hold back on the 1Ds Mk III?

well it turns out the camera would not exsept the CF card had being formated ,i only found the problem by chance as i was trying to see just what did work .
So erro 99 can mean the darn camera whats the cf card formating AGAIN as i had done that befor i went out exstream 111 by the way.
Rob.

well it turns out the camera would not exsept the CF card had being formated ,i only found the problem by chance as i was trying to see just what did work .
So erro 99 can mean the darn camera whats the cf card formating AGAIN as i had done that befor i went out exstream 111 by the way.
Rob.

Could you type a little slower, I'm not quite sure I understand what you have said here.

Aye, they're not exactly covering themselves in glory - I can't help but wonder if the constant clamour from users for new models is why manufacturers feel obliged to release kit too early.

Keith, I think it's the other way around, with manufacturers utilising the market to boost their profits. Look at the number of pre-order cameras now, they get 3 months grace at a premium price, and we keep buying on spec over the internet, even though we have never touched the camera.

yep its dead erro 99 i tried quite a few things new card battery's out and back in again sevrel times but just says erro 99
sending it back AGAIN and the AF Canon fixed is still not fixed so they can look at that too.
although iv had some great shots with this camera its the worst camera for being reliable iv ever had.
Rob.
Tell Canon to replace the camera with a new one instead of fixing it! they should be more reliable at that sort of money?
Cheers
Brian

Keith, I think it's the other way around, with manufacturers utilising the market to boost their profits. Look at the number of pre-order cameras now, they get 3 months grace at a premium price, and we keep buying on spec over the internet, even though we have never touched the camera.

Aye, you could be right at that, Pe'rigin.

Could you type a little slower, I'm not quite sure I understand what you have said here.
Sorry that post of mine was not at all clear .
The camera did not reconize that the card was formated but it was ,nor did it reconize that the other cards I tried were formated -all done in the mk3 camera.

i tried to take a shot and then got erro99 but nothing to say it was a cf card problem.
The camera said take the battery out and reinsert it, this i did severl times but still got erro99, i even took the button one out replased it and reset the camera to default's Still erro99.
so gave up and used my 5d, later i was wondering if anything worked on my mk3 and went to the menue this just happend to be set on Format .
so i formated the card . (pure luck it was on that )
Then tried the camera again Not exspecting it to work but it did,then i tried other cf card's with out reformating them and they worked too .
I can only think that the last time i used the mk3 i formated a card ready for my next shoot BUT something went wrong then.
i.e maybe the format did not work right and the mk3 needed to do A format ( on any cf card ) again in order to finshed what it though was wrong.
Rob.

Error 99 is an uspecified error fault notice and usually occurs as a result of non communication between camera body and lens, i.e. dirty contacts; however it also signals other random errors under the "error 99" umbrella, such as formatting problems where sector damage has occured on the memory card, the prompt would be for the camera wanting to re-format.
When formatting it is also wise to ensure that the vertical grip shutter release is either turned off or not likely to be accidentally pressed, as this can cause "error 99" problems during formatting.
There is a page of Error codes and their meanings, and actions to resolve them, in the camera manual.

Do you have the latest firmware upgrade installed?

Last edited:
Have read quite a few post on the net about the Mk 3 having error 99 problems but havent read any about the 40d.

Spend a few minutes on POTN if you're bored graham. There are a good few people with err99 and focussing issues with 40Ds. Assuming of course that anything on the internet is actually true. ;)

as Paul say's there are many with problems i know a guy local to me has just sent his 40d back erro 99.
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back