• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australian Honeyeater for ID, Broken River in Eungella NP, QLD (1 Viewer)

I’ve been trying to ID the bird in attached photos, possibly female or immature scarlet myzomela (Myzomela sanguinolenta), Photographed on 23rd Oct 2017. A dusky honeyeater and an eastern spline were feeding in the same area. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• -105_7D2_0062.jpg
    -105_7D2_0062.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 41
  • -105_7D2_0064.jpg
    -105_7D2_0064.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 38
Hmmm.
The bare skin around the eye makes me think immature Brown Honeyeater.
Doesn't look quite right though :-/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for responding: female brown was my first thought, but I ruled this out because no pale-yellow tuft behind eye and lack yellow/olive colouring. Although Juv/Imm has small or no yellow-tuft I also ruled this out because the lack of yellow on under-body and bill colour. Ssp nupta although ‘out-of-range’ is a better fit as it is darker, lacks yellow tuft and has larger ring of bare skin around eye, but lacks yellow colouring so can’t be right.

Hmmm.
The bare skin around the eye makes me think immature Brown Honeyeater.
Doesn't look quite right though :-/

I'll see what the brains trust on Aussie bird ID comes up with.

I'd go with immature/juvenile Brown Honeyeater on this one. There is the slightest hint of the yellow tuft, at least I believe there is. It doesn't look quite delicate enough for a scarlet honeyeater/Myzomela and the bill doesn't look long or fine enough. Neither does the bird look delicate enough overall.

Do you happen to recall anything regarding the size? The Scarlet Myzomela is almost half the size of the Brown Honeyeater.

Thanks, regarding size I don’t recall. However, the image for ID was taken with a focal length of 200mm at a subject distance of 2.1m, the calculated bird size is about 12cm.
For comparison I’ve attached an image of a dusky honeyeater, taken one minute later, with the same 200mm focal length but at a subject distance of 3.5m, the calculated size is about 11cm. I’ve scaled (magnified) the dusky honeyeater image to allow direct visual comparison of size.
From size viewpoint it’s most probable that it is an immature/juvenile brown.

Attachments

• -105_7D2_0067.jpg
    -105_7D2_0067.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back