• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod head recommendations (1 Viewer)

malc350

Can anyone recommend a decent fairly lightweight tripod head for my Manfrotto Carbon fibre 190 tripod and Nikon ED82A scope?

I am attempting to use a Nikon P5100 Coolpix and also trying an SLR with the Nikon FSA-L1 but I didn't realise how much these (especially the SLR) shift the centre of gravity so much.

I have just bought a Manfotto 391RC2 but it just isn't strong enough. In fact I am majorly disappointed with the build of this head.

What I need is something a bit smoother in operation, better made and with a sliding stage so I an adjust the balance of the setup.

The Manfotto 701RC2 looks promising to me. Anyone use this or have any other suggestions?

Thanks

The Manfrotto 701RC2 is a good head. I use a 701hdv. Depends where your C of G is once you put the scope on with camera attached of course. I certainly need a rail with my scope and if I put a DSLR on the back I need to be at the forward end of the rail.

Of course stability will be difficult to achieve in this configuration, every vibration will transfer to the image.

Attachments

• IMAG0076.jpg
    IMAG0076.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 254
  • IMAG0076_detail.jpg
    IMAG0076_detail.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 214
I've got the Manfrotto 700RC2 on Feisol carbon fibre legs. I went for lightness & this was one of the lightest I could find. It's smooth & sturdy but the base screw does occasionally get stuck against the tripod base when panning around but it's a minor problem for me.

Thanks for your replies

After Rod's reply I did some research on the 701HDV and have just ordered one based on the very good reports from happy users.

I am very disappointed with the Manfrotto head I have just bought and it is clear that their cheaper products are a real let-down compared to other Manfrotto products I have used over the years...

Malc

701 HDV arrived

Looks like the right choice at first tryout. Quite heavy but seems to hold the ED82 well. Made in Italy too - it really seems like there's quite a difference between the Italian and Chinese made Manfrotto heads...

Will take out into the field asap!

Well done Malc350. I agree that it is heavy but it holds the point of view and it moves smoothly. If I am using a rail as well with the DSLR + 50mm + UCA it has a fair load to bear but it does well. Hope you enjoy it.

Malc,

Just before I had an accident on some ice I had a new Jobu Design gimbal head. I shoot with a canon s95 and Kowa 883. It is the third head I've used digiscoping and now wish it had been my first, the fellow I spoke to at Jobu was very helpful and it was all so easy to order. Great group of people there. Tough head too, came through my fall unscathed.

Joe

Malc,

Just before I had an accident on some ice I had a new Jobu Design gimbal head. I shoot with a canon s95 and Kowa 883. It is the third head I've used digiscoping and now wish it had been my first, the fellow I spoke to at Jobu was very helpful and it was all so easy to order. Great group of people there. Tough head too, came through my fall unscathed.

Joe

Yes Joe, I'm using the Jobu BW Pro gimbal head on my straight Nikon EDG85 :king:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back