• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please advise me!I need advice on buying my first scope! (1 Viewer)

B.Walsh

I would be greatful if someone who knows could tell me a little about scopes priced £500 and under, i cant find info on them and need help. Please help!
Particularly NIKON, OPTICRON and KOWA. Keep in mind that i would intend using a zoom eyepiece and would be interested in digiscoping.

Brendan, check out the Nikon ED78 on Warehouse express. That is excellent value at the moment. Not sure how close to £500 it is. The Opticron ES80 ED is excellent with the zoom and tripod it'll take you over £500 though. if only by a little bit. Either of those two are good scopes.

oh welcome to the forum.

Thanks!

Thanks for that, if you get a chance please tell me if you know what the 20-60 eyepiece on the opticron ed 80 is like. Is it suitable for digiscoping? Only if you get a chance. Thanks!

B.Walsh said:
Thanks for that, if you get a chance please tell me if you know what the 20-60 eyepiece on the opticron ed 80 is like. Is it suitable for digiscoping? Only if you get a chance. Thanks!
Yep!, the 20-60HDF zoom is excellent on the es80ed for digiscoping( I use it handheld ).

Brendan, I've never digiscoped with anything BUT optically you've got to get the HDF 20-60 zoom not the HR 20-60.

Nikon 78 is by far the best value as Pete says and a great scope, they were over a grand a few years back - not a fan of zooms though, especially if you're newish to birding, fixed mags have wider field and are easier to locate stuff with.... scopes are cumbersome too remember, 'little' ones are popular with folks who travel/bird a lot

second hand is a good way to go.... lots of deals: Nikon ED 60s, Kowa 613/614 fluorites - both optically excellent and light to boot

pduxon said:
Brendan, check out the Nikon ED78 on Warehouse express. That is excellent value at the moment. Not sure how close to £500 it is. The Opticron ES80 ED is excellent with the zoom and tripod it'll take you over £500 though. if only by a little bit. Either of those two are good scopes.

oh welcome to the forum.

The straight with a 25-75 zoom is £628 the angled with the same zoom is £678 but the offer is for an angled version with a 38X eyepiece for £549. This scope is a superb piece of kit In Focus have a second hand one in at the moment in their Denby Dale branch complete with a 30w eyepiece for £499.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back