• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

fine tuning ring ? (1 Viewer)

mark richards

United Kingdom
hi all got a hyperion 13mm eyepiece on pentax 80mm scope, would it be worth me getting a fine tuning ring...thinking of 14mm ,for extra reach...its all new to me...will i lose any light?...any help would be great...mark

The 14mm ring would take the eyepiece to 10.8mm so there would be some loss of light, probably not a great deal though. Any form of extra magnification equals loss of light as long as the objective remains at the same diameter. The rings are fairly cheap and they don't affect image quality, so it's probably worth experimenting.

Paul.

If you have the PF80ED-A then the focal length of the scope is 518mm. Divide that by the mm of the eyepiece to get the mag. 10.8mm would give 48X and 13mm almost 40X. The straight scope is 504mm so the mag will be slightly less if you have that one.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back