• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ed82 rattle? (1 Viewer)

aussiewatcher

Hi all,
Was hoping someone out there would be able to help?

I have just noticed a small annoying rattle inside my "new" straight ed82, and was wondering if I need to get it checked out?

Carrying horizontally it sounds like a slightly loose element moving,with purposeful shaking you can also see slight movement somewhere in the optical train (without the eyepiece attached).

Any thoughts would be really appreciated!

Kind regards Eric.

PS:Am so so happy with this thing---just got back from using the 30ds ---and wow!!!!!!

Eric,
I just checked my 12 year-old ED82 without the eyepiece attached and there doesn't seem to be any rattles when I shake it. I also inspected the focus movement with a flashlight (torch) and the internal movement seems fine.

As an aside, my only complaint is I wish the movement ratio was doubled, thus allowing for easier fine-tuning. Looking inside, as I focused, revealed just how much the lens moves with each small change.

I hope you find there's no problem and you can keep enjoying the 30XDS...the absolute best lens on the ED82, though I have adapted to the 25-75 because it's just so good at the 75X end.

Good Birding!
John

Hi all,
Was hoping someone out there would be able to help?

I have just noticed a small annoying rattle inside my "new" straight ed82, and was wondering if I need to get it checked out?

Carrying horizontally it sounds like a slightly loose element moving,with purposeful shaking you can also see slight movement somewhere in the optical train (without the eyepiece attached).

Any thoughts would be really appreciated!

Kind regards Eric.

PS:Am so so happy with this thing---just got back from using the 30ds ---and wow!!!!!!

Hi John thanks for having a look for me and the reply.Hmm looks like I will need to get it checked out?
The scope is in new condition and is unmarked,all of the wrappings/soc were still in the box unopened.It was sold to me as a display model with the std 25 to 75.
I guess this is where buying eBay stuff can bite a little!
Now to find a service agent in Aussie?
Thanks again,cheers Eric

Hi,

well in case it was sold by a store as an as new display model one would expect them to fix it... or maybe open a dispute on ebay?

Joachim

Hi Joachim,
Thanks for the reply,of course I will try not to get entangled in a bun fight, if I can avoid it?
I am just so damn happy with the scope,the coatings are mint (as is the rest of the scope) and have no doubts that it has not been used in the field.The Warranty cards etc are all there, but not filled in.
The "rattly bit" inside seems to stem more from the ocular end and the image looks fantastic to me!

I am not sure if I should just be happy and use it, or is it likely to eventually fail doing damage--?

Has anyone out there had one of these apart, so as to have a guess what may be not quite right in the back end?

Thanks for the help,and my apologies for all the questions people.

Kind regards,Eric

Hi,

well if it's still under warranty, you could try that of course. I don't know what the description on ebay said, but when I buy sth as a demo unit - good as new, I would expect it to not have obvious problems like sth rattling inside - but that's just me.

Near the eyepiece end there's the prisms - most likely of the porro variety if the images on the net can be trusted. One moving would also explain the visible effect when shaken.
I wouldn't shake it too much, otherwise you might soon be in the same situation as Yves in the Kowa Forum - searching for a replacement for a broken prism.

Regards,

Joachim

I have some advice, remove the eyepiece, and take a bright flashlight and take a good look to
see if the prism is in place. It is held in with an adhesive, some white putty on the corners
and they can loosen if banged around.

I had this happen to a ED 78 scope that had been dropped. This one had a rattle also, sounds like
that could be the issue. The ED82 is a current scope Nikon should be able to fix it.

Good luck.

Jerry

Hi Jerry---oops I read this too late---just been sent off to a Nikon Australia agent this morning for warranty repair, and yes Jerry I hope they can fix it, as I love the bloody thing! Talking with Nikon help desk last night, there may be some kind of a service issue with the nitrogen regassing though--but all that needs to be confirmed when inspected? The person from Nikon I was speaking to was bloody terrific, nothing was too much trouble and they even arranged the freight pick up for me--I must say that's pretty damn good service so far !
Will let you know how its all going and thanks for the guidance again people!

Just a bump---
Hi all,just in case anyone is interested?
I have yet to hear anything concrete from Nikon Australia Service about the repair,although I phoned them last week, and they were hopeful for a good result?
Will keep you posted.
Cheers-Eric

Thanks--and yep I hear you Joachim.
The couple of telephone conversations I have had with their service desk staff has truly been very positive and assuring.

Hi to those interested,
I have just had a phone call from the Aust Nikon Service Agent.
The internal damage to my scope was caused by an impact,so am not covered by warranty.
Am getting a tad nervous.

the good,bad and ugly

A picture says 1000 words---------holy cow no wonder it rattled people!!!!!!!!!!!!
New rear case is required.Positive discussions are underway.

Attachments

• ed82case1.JPG
    ed82case1.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 212
  • ed82case3.JPG
    ed82case3.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 213
Eric I am really sorry about your scope. That looks bad! I have the Nikon 50ED and had the Nikon 60 and 60ED at one time. I have never had the 82ED.

Thanks for the sympathy Steve!!
You know it must speak volumes about Nikon optics, when I was so happy with my new scope (of course being none the wiser) until I posted a query about a tiny rattle on this forum a month ago.
Go figure!

Good Luck Eric. I would of probably never hear the rattle. The Nikon 82 ED is hard too find and when you find one the price is not low.

A picture says 1000 words---------holy cow no wonder it rattled people!!!!!!!!!!!!
New rear case is required.Positive discussions are underway.

Now this seems new to the discussion. Tell us how did the damage
occur. You said earlier, it was in new condition?

Jerry

No, he said it was sold as a display unit - good as new. Obviously display duty is dangerous...
It seems it suffered an impact with an eyepiece installed and acting as a lever which cracked the plastic inner body... and the small triangle missing on the first picture probably created the rattle.

Joachim

No, he said it was sold as a display unit - good as new. Obviously display duty is dangerous...
It seems it suffered an impact with an eyepiece installed and acting as a lever which cracked the plastic inner body... and the small triangle missing on the first picture probably created the rattle.

Joachim

And that damage was not noticed by the buyer. :eek!:

Sounds suspect, looking for a post from the OP not others who
do not know.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back