• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any Colored Pencil Tips for Doing Feathers? (1 Viewer)

timeshadowed

Time is a Shadow
Hi,

I'm very much a beginner to drawing of any kind. I've tried to 'paint' birds in colored penci, but so far it is not going very well. They all look like a five yr old did them. Are there any drawing forums just for beginners, those who have reached adulthood without doing ANY drawing before because they were convinced that they had 'no talent' for this sort of thing?

I already know of these two art forums:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/
http://www.scribbletalk.com/

But everything on them seems way, way too advanced for where I find myself.

Any advice?

Don't worry if you're unhappy with your first results, enjoy doing them, the talent in art is for the enjoyment of it, if you enjoy expressing yourself in your pictures you're an artist. Once you are happy picking up a pencil, then you can start to ask yourself "what would I change the next time I draw". Of course there are tips and shortcuts to achieving the results you would like. In drawing birds the best thing to concentrate on is the shape of the bird, then the dark and light areas, then detail is the last thing of all.
Hope these few pointers are useful, would be good if you could post some of your work for us all to see.

happy painting

Nick

There is no right or wrong way of producing art, so I suppose the best advice I can give is to practice (sorry, I know that's what everyone says!) but also to be self critical without discouraging yourself. You'll find by accident the techniques that you like, look at other people's work that you like and ask yourself how they did that, you can try and imitate their techniques. One other tip, when using pencil, try and follow the contours of the bird, and the contours of the feathers, by their nature, pencil crayons render feather detail and texture without any effort.

all the best and happy drawing

I'm a member of the UK Coloured Pencil Society and they are really good and encouraging for beginners.....I mostly draw in 'normal' pencil and occasionally in acrylic paints even though I've been a member of the above society since it began in 2001. I've got coloured pencils but just haven't yet plucked up the courage to get stuck in! :-C

There's an American equivalent of the UKCPS.........the Coloured Pencil Society of America

http://www.cpsa.org/

Perhaps they will be able to offer help and encouragement......everybody was a beginner once ;)

Other than that it's probably just a case of practice, practice, practice o:) You'll get there in the end! :t:

nickderry said:
. . .also to be self critical without discouraging yourself.

Thanks Nick. I have been at this for a little over a year now. It still seems more like a learning time for me, which is good. I'm someone who wants to do it 'perfect' so it is really amazing that I have not become discouraged. I think that it is because I had already accepted my limitations when I began this adventure. I just started out drawing trees, mountians or anything else that did not have to be drawn using a specific shape. I have been able to see much improvment in my skills so I think that has helped keep me going.

Gill,

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. in the meantime, I will continue to read library books and practice. I can see improvement in my drawings, so that keeps me going.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back