• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a North-American bird guide (1 Viewer)

Morag2

Hey all, I just started reading about birdwatching mainly because I am a nature photographer and would like to be able to identify the birds I photograph. I have a book on birdwatching with a guide to North American birds but it only lists the "100 most common species".

I would like a book that lists almost any bird I'm ever going to see in North America (I have heard there are about 700 species?). So basically, does anyone have any recommendations? It doesn't need to have any bird-watching information, just a list and some information on all the birds. (I would like it to include general location of birds in North American, habitat, favourite foods, identification and a colour photo).

So does anyone know of any books like this? My online searching has come up with nothing.

Thanks all!

There are several threads here on BF, in this same sub-forum actually, that have lengthy discusssions about the relative merits of all kinds of field guides for North America.

Here's one on a reference book, not a field guide, that you'll find more useful at home:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=55747&highlight=North+America+field+guide

But for a field guide, I have a preference for the "big Sibley's" which is the book that encompasses both eastern and western North American birds. Sibley's has more recently split this large (but still packable) volume into two pocket-sized field guides, one for Eastern and one for Western birds of NA. But all of his books are illustrated with his fabulous paintings, not photos.

And there will be as many diverse field guide recommendations as there are birders who will answer your question! ;) :t:

Many thanks yous! And sorry for not looking around the board first, thank you for the tips. I will have to check out some of these books (I work in a mall with a Chapters in it, so I have plenty of time for book searching) :)

You are not likely to need to identify more than 300 species the first couple of years. One note of warning: I actually have three of the Stan Tekiela books on states, but they really don't get you very far. Peterson East is always a good beginner book, but Sibley has better art. Get the smaller Sibley East and West, depending on where you are. They are handy in the field, and one can usually be left in the car, just for reference on really odd birds.

The Sibley guide is in my opinion the best field guide currently available for North America. The new edition of the National Geographic guide is good too.

Markus

You can also get the Sibley guides in an east and west format. Basically smaller stripped-down versions of the larger book on North American birds. This western or eastern book is cheaper than the big book. Also, consider Ken Kaufman's guide to North American Birds. This book is uniquely different in that he used digitally enhanced photos rather than the illustrated painting of so many other guides.

http://www.amazon.com/Kaufman-Field...=pd_bbs_1/104-6712216-3348731?ie=UTF8&s=books

Morag2:
You didn't specify exactly where in Canada you are, but I give another vote for the Sibley guides.
We're in the Toronto area, and there are several other good area specific reference books available for Ontario and Eastern Canada.

cheers,
jim

If you want a book that covers all of North America, yet is still a handy size for the field, I recommend the Field Guide to the Birds of North America by National Geographic. It has just come out in a new edition, the 5th. However, for your purposes, the forth edition would be just as useful, and it is even a bit smaller. You might get that edition at a reduced price.

I would also recommend the Sibley guides. I've got all the major NA field guides, and it is by far my favorite. The "big" guide and the smaller regional ones are complimentary, IMHO. The big guide has more and larger illustrations, but not much in terms of status and other info. The smaller guides have most, but not all of the artwork, but are more portable and also include status info and more text. They also have updated range maps.
For more info on the birds themselves (not identification) I would recommend Kenn Kaufman's "Lives of North American Birds".

Swissboy said:
If you want a book that covers all of North America, yet is still a handy size for the field, I recommend the Field Guide to the Birds of North America by National Geographic. It has just come out in a new edition, the 5th. However, for your purposes, the forth edition would be just as useful, and it is even a bit smaller. You might get that edition at a reduced price.

I agree. I think the National Geographic guide is fantastic.

Well I did end up buying the National Geographic guide. I spent 10 minutes debating between the Sibleys North America guide and the Sibleys Western NA guide (there is quite a different in terms of text information). Then I realized the Nation Geographic was cheaper than the Sibleys Western and had more birds than the complete NA, and had more text (which I liked better than pictures).

I'm not sure if I would call it a good size for the field though, it's one of the biggest books I own, haha. Thats okay though, I'm a photographer so I will have pictures to use, no need to identify on the spot.

I would recomend getting the Sibley's from each region. It would makeit easier to find a species based on region and it also gives the best (I have seen) info concerning juveniles. Became my bible within a week of picking it up. I ALWAYS run to that first ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back