• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The commonest bird in your garden at the moment? (1 Viewer)

We have the blackbirds too along with a bunch of Robins mostly Juveniles. Must have been a good year for robins. I still have my Carolina wren who sings every morning no matter how hot. The cardinals are pretty numerous and so are the mourning doves. My flock of English House sparrows are a little quieter in this heat. (Heat index was 105 for about the last three weeks but the hurricane has brought a rare northeast breeze which is considerably dryer air than our usual southern winds.)

In the garden of our youth hostel in Suffolk we have about 60-80 house sparrows.The number of guests from London who say they are 'extinct' in their part of the city means the once common spadger is now a treat for many people.
Last week I came home to find a red legged partridge asleep on my doorstep

Steve

Equally sparrows and starlings (about 30-50 of each most days), a few blackbirds, collared doves, robins, blue tits, greenfinches, though not many of the latter two at the moment.

My parents have only starlings, about 20 or so, and one sparrow. They live in Morecambe.

Last edited:
:flyaway: Cardinals, House Finches, Mourning Doves, Carolina Chickadees, Tufted Titmice and House Sparrows. Occasionally I get Hairy and Red-breasted Woodpeckers at my peanut feeder. Happy birding! :flyaway:

Up to ten greenfinches here in Cornwall at the moment on the feeders, with a similar number of house sparrows and starlings, then the odd blue tit, great tit, collared dove, chaffinch, etc. We also get a regular sparrowhawk, but not every day.

Gus

Free said:
Sparrows sparrows , A robin, And 6 Cockerels that keep escaping from the farm and digging up my garden!

Lots of Sparrows,Starlings,Collared Doves and Blackbirds but NO COCKERELS.I want COCKERELS Free,send them over ;) ;) ;) :flowers: I could do with help,on the digging side. ;)

Yes its House Sparrows here as well.

It seems like the corner has turned on the decline in numbers in the UK. We get them in about 3 batches coming to the garden in the space of about 5 minutes, I would say we get about 40.

Usually house sparrows, but for some reason a flock of about 20 - 30 blue tits landed in my tree yesterday and took turns at the feeder. A coupleof long tailed tits were with them but they didn't use the feeder. Is this normal, or maybe they just didn;t get a chance!

adw73uk said:
Usually house sparrows, but for some reason a flock of about 20 - 30 blue tits landed in my tree yesterday and took turns at the feeder. A coupleof long tailed tits were with them but they didn't use the feeder. Is this normal, or maybe they just didn;t get a chance!

This time of year birds are on the move, dispercing or even migrating. A roving flock might be wandering, looking for a good feeding area or place to 'put up their feet' for the oncoming winter.

Though not really in the UK, Blue Tits are very migratory birds up here - these days, it is very common to see waves of Blue Tits, Great Tits and Coal Tits streaming south. On a good day near the coast, you can get several thousand per hour going over your head. By mid-winter, virtually all the adult female of all these species have gone, most of the first year birds too - what flocks onto my feeders in huge numbers are the left-behind adult males, a strategy that allows them to be near the territory come the spring.

Definately House Sparrows is the most common in my garden, around 40 in total, including their young from this year. :bounce:
Closely followed by Collared Doves - 11 in total and then the Wood Pigeons are not far behind. :cat:

September in an English suburban garden in the Midlands, and it's GREENFINCHES, closely followed by GOLDFINCHES. I'm getting about 12-14 Greenfinches at a time, and wondering if they'll beat last September's total of 28 at once.
At other times of year it's usually Collared Doves who are the constant scoffers. Then there have been periods of Starlings; 10 - 20 - 50 at a time. And that started last year after a complete dearth of Starlings for many many years.

Goldfinches... as in just about every other week of the year. 21 give or take at the moment.

There a small Starling flock (40 ish) around at the minute, but only received them in 10s and only occasionally up to now.

Still getting me Willow Tit, which is nice.

Here in Doncaster, Goldfinches outnumber the rest, with up to 27 at any one time. Then H.Sparrows, Starlings and Greenfinches in that order.

Baz.

Right now, house sparrows. Followed closely by bushtits, and then lots of black-capped and chestnut-backed chickadees.

The bushtits are the cutest, especially the young. They look like swarms of teeny grey puffballs!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back