• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Dragon/Damselflies reports/news (1 Viewer)

Southern Emerald

A second Southern Emerald reported from near Trimingham last week apparently.

On RBA Pagers one report (only) of a female southern emerald on Wed 26 August in field opposite Woodland Leisure Park.

I have no information on this record other than this message.

Last edited:
A second Southern Emerald reported from near Trimmingham last week apparently.

Photographed by the finder and subsequently seen by another observer too.

Unfortunately despite searching the area next day there was no sign of it and have looked for it a couple of times since too but no luck.

Simon

Still the odd (presumed) Common Darters on the wing.

After a couple of singles in the last week or so at Cromer & Overstrand, had a pair in tandem today at East Runton Common

Simon

Just heard that Willow Emerald turned up at Strumpshaw last month!
"For your information, the BDS Odonata Records Committee has just accepted a record of Willow Emerald Damselfly (Lestes viridis) for Strumpshaw Fen on October 4th 2009. A pair in tandem were photographed. This is the first Norfolk record for this species. "

If they were in tandem there's always a possibility of breeding: must remember to check willow trees for suspicious lumps and bumps next time I'm down there.

Anyone seen a dragonfly or damselfly yet this year ? They are late for my part of Norfolk. I usualy have the first large red in the 3rd week of April.

Anyone seen a dragonfly or damselfly yet this year ? They are late for my part of Norfolk. I usualy have the first large red in the 3rd week of April.

Hi we saw our first large red at RSPB Strumpshaw on Saturday

Attachments

• Large Red damselfly (R).jpg
    Large Red damselfly (R).jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 116
Large reds were seen on 22nd, azures on 27th according to Pam Taylor (dragonfly recorder). Four-spots should be any day now.

A few nearly emerged damselflies along the Tas Valley Way, Swaredston yesterday afternoon. A quick pic search on Google leads me to believe they were Azure Damsels, but I'm definitely not an expert!

Chris

Large red damselfly

Finally saw my first large red of the year today at Wheatfen. Only 3 in one small shelterred spot, one of which had a distorted abdomen.

I checked out the new cafe at Rollesby yesterday (£3 a slice for cake!) and had a teneral blue-tailed damselfly on the terrace.

Just had the following from Pam Taylor, dragonfly recorder, and :

I've had reports of seven species so far in Norfolk, which is way down on other years. Species reported are:-
Large Red Damselfly
Azure Damselfly
Variable Damselfly
Red-eyed Damselfly
Hairy Dragonfly
Broad-bodied Chaser
Four-spotted Chaser

Some species yet to emerge

Just had the following from Pam Taylor, dragonfly recorder, and :

I've had reports of seven species so far in Norfolk, which is way down on other years. Species reported are:-
Large Red Damselfly
Azure Damselfly
Variable Damselfly
Red-eyed Damselfly
Hairy Dragonfly
Broad-bodied Chaser
Four-spotted Chaser

From the lakes near Little Plumstead hospital today
Four-spotted chaser and many azure damselflies. Had variable and large red damselfly yesterday at same spot but no azures strangely.

(I did hope for my first common blue or blue-tailed damselflies of the year. None seen. All possibles for these showed themselves to be azures, for example a mature green female.)

This one was at NWT Wretham Heath today, the only one I saw. Looks like a Common to me. Can anyone confirm or say why it isn't please.

Lewis

Attachments

• Com-Blue.jpg
    Com-Blue.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 119
Yes, looks like common from the wide ante-humeral stripes. Ideally you'd like to either see the second segment marking on the abdomen or the side of the thorax (to confirm the absence of a coenagrion spur), but azure or variable would normally have narrower stripe (and a darker blue coloration - but that's subject to lighting/camera/monitor issues).

Barton Broad today produced loads of variables, azures, large red and four-spots and a couple of hairies.

Blue damselfly

This one was at NWT Wretham Heath today, the only one I saw. Looks like a Common to me. Can anyone confirm or say why it isn't please.

Lewis

Yes, looks like common from the wide ante-humeral stripes. Ideally you'd like to either see the second segment marking on the abdomen or the side of the thorax (to confirm the absence of a coenagrion spur), but azure or variable would normally have narrower stripe (and a darker blue coloration - but that's subject to lighting/camera/monitor issues).

Barton Broad today produced loads of variables, azures, large red and four-spots and a couple of hairies.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the picture and HarrassedDad for the ID. Was planning to post a reply.

I looked at the picture a short while ago and blew it up as best I could. Could not decide whether it was common or azure. Could not see enough detail from the front of the abdomen.

Eliminated variable as the rear end would have more black than your damselfly has.

Agree on common as ID
Have looked at the book again the wide ante-humeral stripes are a feature of common damselfly

Am still trying to get my head around these blue damselflies. They often don't stay still long enough to be photographed.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back