• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

purple emperor help (1 Viewer)

paul_j_c2000

Hi this is my must see this year can anyone point me in the right direction as to time and place ,with all this good weather would they be out earlier than usual, has there been any sightings this year?managed to get a couple off pics of a female 2 years ago at broxbourne woods but would really like to see a male on the ground any help would be gratefully received paul

Hi Paul.

I only know of two sites,both visited myself,one at Bentley wood on the Hampshire/Wiltshire border and Bentley station meadow also in Hampshire.A bit of a trek from Essex but worth the effort and certainly to the Bentley wood site.I had 3 males basking in the car park area one year plus you could also pick up late Small pearl bordered fritillary and White letter hairstreak.Usually July weeks two and three are best for Purple emperor but as you say a lot of species seem to be out early this year so you have a good chance of seeing them if you went say in the next week or so.The other site at Bentley station meadow is a bit of an unknown quantity with me despite one visit there but unfortunately no emperor sightings i am led to believe that they are seen there but i am talking a few years ago now so to be honest i am unaware of the current status at that site although i did have White admiral and Silver washed fritillary.I can provide more detailed info if you require.
Hope this is of some help.

Dave.

A friend knows of a site in Suffolk that we'll be trying in the next couple of weeks. The Purple Emperors are re-introductions as they are at Broxbourne I believe. Not sure if the site is public knowledge but I'll find out and let you know. Might save you a long journey.

Phil

Hi this is my must see this year can anyone point me in the right direction as to time and place ,with all this good weather would they be out earlier than usual, has there been any sightings this year?managed to get a couple off pics of a female 2 years ago at broxbourne woods but would really like to see a male on the ground any help would be gratefully received paul

Paul Brigstock country park (nr Corby) then ask for directions. From your home,M11 then A14 follow signs to midlands,then at Thrapston take the Corby turn and this goes past the country park entrance.Hope this helps,should only take about an Hour and a half.

POP

Hi Paul.

I only know of two sites,both visited myself,one at Bentley wood on the Hampshire/Wiltshire border and Bentley station meadow also in Hampshire.A bit of a trek from Essex but worth the effort and certainly to the Bentley wood site.I had 3 males basking in the car park area one year plus you could also pick up late Small pearl bordered fritillary and White letter hairstreak.Usually July weeks two and three are best for Purple emperor but as you say a lot of species seem to be out early this year so you have a good chance of seeing them if you went say in the next week or so.The other site at Bentley station meadow is a bit of an unknown quantity with me despite one visit there but unfortunately no emperor sightings i am led to believe that they are seen there but i am talking a few years ago now so to be honest i am unaware of the current status at that site although i did have White admiral and Silver washed fritillary.I can provide more detailed info if you require.

Dave.

Dunno about Paul but this site isn't too far from me and I'd certainly be interested in more info if you'd be prepared to supply it. PM if you prefer?

Hi Paul.

Dave.
Savernake forest in Wiltshire (near Berks border)around the monument is becoming appreciated rapidly as a Purple emperor site, more people join the little throng every season..

Hi Paul,

I,ve been to broxbourne woods today and seen 3 pemps , one on the ground (briefly) , at the moment late morning (11.00) to mid afternoon seems best, if you want a grounded male your best chance will be in the next few days between 9.30 - 11.00, if you dont mind traveling fermyn woods is reputed to be the best site in the country, with reasonable weather its almost garunteed.

PH

Last edited:
A friend knows of a site in Suffolk that we'll be trying in the next couple of weeks. The Purple Emperors are re-introductions as they are at Broxbourne I believe. Not sure if the site is public knowledge but I'll find out and let you know. Might save you a long journey.

Phil

Hello Phill,

The pemps at broxbourne are definitley not introductions,check out the fantastic purple emperor reports published by herts & middlesex butterfly conservation as regards historical sightings going back to at least the 50,s !.

PH

Hi there

Might well try Broxbourne on Saturday morning - could you confirm where you had your sightings, please?

cheers

David

I,ve been to broxbourne woods today and seen 3 pemps , one on the ground (briefly) , at the moment late morning (11.00) to mid afternoon seems best, if you want a grounded male your best chance will be in the next few days between 9.30 - 11.00, if you dont mind traveling fermyn woods is reputed to be the best site in the country, with reasonable weather its almost garunteed.

PH

Phil

The Suffolk site is sort of public knowledge. Parking is a nightmare so reluctant to post its location here. But suggest anyone who wants to find out about sites in Suffolk, including the PE site, and hopefully share their sightings, should join the Suffolk Natural History newsgroup on Yahoo groups. Hopefully here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/suffolk-nh/

Cheers

Two pictures of a Purple Emperor at Broxbourne Woods this morning. None came to the ground today, despite various people pouring stinking liquids!

Attachments

• Purple~Emp1.jpg
    Purple~Emp1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Purple~Emp2.jpg
    Purple~Emp2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back