• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stumped (1 Viewer)

longbow

Hey All.

Haven't been around for a while, been in the wind. Hope to catch up now slowly.

First thing, I had a bird at the feeder I can't find in Sibley's or Audubon's. Doesn't mean he's not there of course, and I have no pix, but perhaps a leg up from you fine folks?

About the size of a tanager or so, I'm guessing.

Yellow crown stripe, brown eyebrow, yellow eye stripe grading into white at rear, brown cheeks/face, yellow neck and belly grading down to buff, dark brown wings with white spots, shortish tail. Had a rather roman nose profile with a dark, somewhat coarse beak and a flat forehead. Pretty sure it was a male.

I'm in the British Columbia interior.

Any ideas?

Thanks much.

Evening Grosbeak?
Western Meadowlark?

Neither of these fits your description very closely, but they're the best I can come up with off the top of my head.

'Fraid not, not even in the ball park. My description is quite accurate, should anyone care to read it again. Thanks for the guesses though.

My description is quite accurate
'brown eyebrow, yellow eye stripe grading into white at rear'
= pale stripe through the eye bordered immediately above by a dark stripe...? Hmm, I wonder...
Anyway, if your description really is accurate (and the vast majority of descriptions of puzzling birds are inaccurate in one way or another) it doesn't fit any N American bird. So you've seen an escape.

It sounds a little like a female Dickcissel to me, but the location's not good for that (based on Sibley's). (I'm not sure if the Dickcissel has a yellow crown-stripe, and it's neck isn't yellow but its breast is - so I know this isn't a great match. Just a shot in the dark from a total noob).

I only have a few suggestions as well.

Female yellow-headed blackbird?
Bobolink?
Accidental Dickcissel? (they do rarely show up in interior BC)
Accidental female Yellow Grosbeak (long shot)

That's it for me!

White-throated sparrows have a yellow and white streak just above their eye. Otherwise it doesn't fit your description that well. The people who suggested female yellow-headed blackbird and bobolink might be on to something as well. I'd suggest googling pictures of a female bobolink, because they kind of match your description.

About the size of a tanager or so, I'm guessing.

Yellow crown stripe, brown eyebrow, yellow eye stripe grading into white at rear, brown cheeks/face, yellow neck and belly grading down to buff, dark brown wings with white spots,
I'm with Buckeye - aside from the yellow crown stripe I don't see how this isn't describing a female-type Black Headed Grosbeak. It may not be your bird, but surely its "in the ballpark" of your description?

I'll try to attach one of my own images for your comparison, but I'm not a photographer so it isn't an exceptional pic.

Attachments

• Female BHGRO comp.jpg
    Female BHGRO comp.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 35
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back