• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

March moths GB&I (1 Viewer)

smokenack

Had my first moths for almost a month last night, 2 Hebrew Characters and a Common Quaker. Not much but after many blank nights very welcome.

My run of 1 or 2 Hebrew Characters a night and nothing else over the last week was broken last night by my earliest ever Angle Shades, 2 of them.

I've just joined the Hebrew Character club - 2 this morning, nowt else.

My first ever 'Moth Trap' last night produced a single moth, a Common Quaker. Be good to become a member of the Hebrew Character club sometime this week!

Ran my garden MV trap for the first time this year: 1 each of -

March Moth
Clouded Drab
Twin-spot Quaker
Common Quaker

No moth trapping yet but recorded two species today at my local birding patch in Barnes:
1 Caloptilia stigmatella and 4 Mompha jurassicella inside one of the hides.
Martin

A lifer on Mon night - Yellow Horned - plus Hebrew Character, Dotted Border and Common Quaker (all singles). Trying again tonight as next few nights look decidedly iffy!

4 Early Greys last night were not only the most in one night for my garden but also the earliest by over a week. None of them anywhere near the trap of course, they were all 6 to 8 feet away on the fence. I missed out on a lot of moths during my first couple of years trapping by not searching the area around the trap. I now thoroughly investigate all nooks and crannies within ten feet or so of the trap.

4 Early Greys last night were not only the most in one night for my garden but also the earliest by over a week. None of them anywhere near the trap of course, they were all 6 to 8 feet away on the fence. I missed out on a lot of moths during my first couple of years trapping by not searching the area around the trap. I now thoroughly investigate all nooks and crannies within ten feet or so of the trap.

Do you put eggboxes on the outside of your trap? I've seen a few photos of other peoples' traps on Twitter, and think this might be a good idea (tips like this was why I started the "show me your trap" thread, but sadly that thread didn't get the response I'd hoped for from the old hands).

No, I've not tried that Mark, I think that I'll give it a go. In the pictures that you've seen are the boxes balanced on the trap or placed around the trap at ground level?

No, I've not tried that Mark, I think that I'll give it a go. In the pictures that you've seen are the boxes balanced on the trap or placed around the trap at ground level?

Leaning against the trap; I'm going to try this but it will need a dry and relatively calm night, so may be a while before the chance arises...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back