• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth id (1 Viewer)

What camera did you use Michael?

Did you know that on some cameras there is a 'stalking mode' available in the macro setting which fires a series of shots and stitches them together so that the whole subject is in focus? On my pocket camera, this mode is represented within the macro setting by a ladybird.

You'll note that on your shot, the head is sharp and rest not so but stalking mode would give you the whole thing in focus. I often forget to use it.

Please don't take this as criticism, just passing on the info that my wife gave me, she is the serious photographer in our house.

A

Last edited:

Did you know that on some cameras there is a 'stalking mode' available in the macro setting which fires a series of shots and stitches them together so that the whole subject is in focus? On my pocket camera, this mode is represented within the macro setting by a ladybird.

You'll note that on your shot, the head is sharp and rest not so but stalking mode would give you the whole thing in focus. I often forget to use it.

Please don't take this as criticism, just passing on the info that my wife gave me, she is the serious photographer in our house.

A

Thank you, Andy.
Had no clue there was such an option. It would have come in handy recently while trying to get shots of a large green wasp.

A

Hi Andy I use a Nikon D500 and Nikon 105 Macro lens. I know how to use photo stacking in photoshop and some modern compact cameras have a setting where they take several shots at different depth of field then merge them to get a subject sharp from front to back. Been looking at one or two particularly the Olympus tough. have not taken your comments as a criticism as I can see where you are coming from. The moth photo is not mine but a friend who was interested in finding out which species it was. Thank you for any and all comments.

Hi Andy I use a Nikon D500 and Nikon 105 Macro lens. I know how to use photo stacking in photoshop and some modern compact cameras have a setting where they take several shots at different depth of field then merge them to get a subject sharp from front to back. Been looking at one or two particularly the Olympus tough. have not taken your comments as a criticism as I can see where you are coming from. The moth photo is not mine but a friend who was interested in finding out which species it was. Thank you for any and all comments.

The Olympus tough is what I use, excellent for the price.

My wife has the D810 but I'll tell you what, for a great camera, get the Samsung Galaxy S7 phone, the camera is unbelievable even the macro!

A

Olympus Tough

The Olympus tough is what I use, excellent for the price.

My wife has the D810 but I'll tell you what, for a great camera, get the Samsung Galaxy S7 phone, the camera is unbelievable even the macro!

A

Do you have the TG-4 or TG-5 or do you have a view on which has the better macro capability?
Richard

I have the TG-4

AFAIK, there was no significant enhancement to the macro facility in the TG-5

It's worth investing in a small ring flash too which I have.

One thing I find tricky when using a macro with non captive subjects is shadow and that's if you can get close enough. You have to get so close that you will often put your subect in shadow if the sun is behind you so to get around this I often get close enough just to avoid casting a shadow and then use minimal zoom.

Look at my butterfly pics on Surfbirds, they are all done using the TG-4 with either the macro or P setting with minimal zoom.

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back