• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (43 Viewers)

Red Kites commoner than Buzzards?
OK well not quite - yet. With the general dearth of migrants decided to spend some time today checking out various inland sites and at four widely scattered locations had Red Kites with at least 7 birds in total. This was only marginally fewer than the Common Buzzards seen which was a bit surprising. Been lots of excellent photos of Red Kites recently but just for a change here's one on the ground. Initial views were from a moving car and through a hedge (I was driving) which is the best excuse I can come up with as my first guess on the i.d. was Egyptian Goose although my passenger was a bit closer with Common Buzzard.
On a slightly different tack, if (and with the standard of BBC/Anglia weather forecasting it's a big 'if') we do get some easterly airflow next week we should be on track for a Red-foot or two to be found in the county so make sure you check out all those 'hobbies' thoroughly!

Mick

Attachments

• DSCF6147.JPG
    DSCF6147.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 201
Surlingham

Hi Pcristatus, welcome to the forum.

I suspect you are referring to the same male Marsh that has been called all sorts throughout the spring.

Thanks Ben, and Jim also, for the welcome. That does sound likely - it was unusual looking, and in line with your description.

Plenty of House Martins over the Yare by Surlingham Church Marsh today - a loose flock and high, but I guess 30 at least. A Whitethroat was the other highlight.

Chris

Saturday - Snettisham, Hunstanton and Holme Reserves

Flushed a Short-eared Owl at Holme NWT Forestry this morning and saw this bird a couple more times throughout the day. A good day's birding all round, 2 yelllow wags on the pitch 'n' putt at Old Hunstanton. Peregrine on the beach at Gore Point, Holme and at least 50+ Yellow Wagtails with cattle from the 3rd Hide at NWT Wader Pools (open from 10am), common sandpiper and bittern booming. At least 4 Cuckoos seen at Holme also. Hundreds of hirundines hurtling over Redwell Marsh this evening from 7.45pm for half an hour.

Don't bother going to Snettisham Coastal Park this weekend unless you love dogs off leads – after two run ins with dog owners I left!:-C

Full update and more pictures on blog.

Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_6817 crop.jpg
    IMG_6817 crop.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6708 crop.jpg
    IMG_6708 crop.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_6813 crop.jpg
    IMG_6813 crop.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6821 crop.jpg
    IMG_6821 crop.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6513 crop.jpg
    IMG_6513 crop.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Finally caught up with my first Sedge Warbler on my patch!
Well, I suppose that's patching for you!!

PS Anyone know anything about the reported Purple Heron at Old Costessey? No time given!

Last edited:
hi,

having had some considerable luck sunbathe-birding in the garden the other day I gave it ago again today. A couple of hobby moving through were the only things of note am, however pm I scoped an incredibly high heron that from previous experience watching heron sp. migrate at height I called as a Purple heron- I didnt put it out to RBA as i was not positive of ID. However I noticed that one was seen in Costessey this PM - anyone know by whom and at what height? thanks

hi,

having had some considerable luck sunbathe-birding in the garden the other day I gave it ago again today. A couple of hobby moving through were the only things of note am, however pm I scoped an incredibly high heron that from previous experience watching heron sp. migrate at height I called as a Purple heron- I didnt put it out to RBA as i was not positive of ID. However I noticed that one was seen in Costessey this PM - anyone know by whom and at what height? thanks

Hi Johny,
I'm guessing they took the record direct from your tweet mid afternoon, but omitted the possible caveat..

An early phone call (thanks, Ian) and I was at WRunton, looking at some interesting waggies. They looked even more exciting at first, when they were the other side of the field, in low light !

A smart, male Grey-headed was the main point of interest and is below; it was with an intergrade and around 10 flavissimae. All flew off, when the chap came to feed the calves.

Around a half-dozen Wheatears and male White Wagtail were in the area.

Attachments

• 532pse.jpg
    532pse.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 277
  • 481pse.jpg
    481pse.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Why has that Grey-headed Wagtail got a big white throat?

There has been a first-summer male in Leics recently and even that had a yellow throat.

Steve

Thorpe Station Marshes alive with the sound and to a slightly lesser extent sight of warblers this morning. Sedge, Reed and Cettis Warblers, Chiff Chaffs, Blackcaps, Common Whitethroats and a pair of Reed Buntings.

I also heard my first Cuckoo of the year, its call coming from the wooded area on Bungalow Lane. Loads of Orange Tip Butterflies over the marsh.

Regards Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG
    482.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Whitethroat 3.JPG
    Whitethroat 3.JPG
    426.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Thorpe Station Marshes alive with the sound and to a lesser extent sight of warblers this morning. Sedge, Reed and Cettis Warblers, Chiff Chaffs, Blackcaps and Common Whitethroats.

I also heard my first Cuckoo of the year, its call coming from the wooded area on Bungalow Lane. Loads of Orange Tipped Butterflies over the marsh.

Hi Paul,

had my first Cuckoos of the year too today, at Wheatfen and Rockland. At least 4 Snakes at Wheatfen, probably Grass, but all slithered away before I could get anywhere near them!

Single Garden Warbler at Rockland- is anyone else finding these hard to come by? Admittedly I did not take in the woodland section of Wheatfen, but I expected them to be more vocal by now.
2 Common Terns were fishing the broad; great to see, but I had hoped for Black!

Cheers,
Jim.

This is currently a matter of much discussion and research, Steve !

I'm sure there'll be more to follow.

Do you remember the field full of Grey-headed wagtails and Red-throated Pipits at Happisburgh in the early 90's, there were several there with white throats. As a young lad I always asssumed they were Ashy-headed, but think I was told they were 1st summer male Grey-headed ?

Do you remember the field full of Grey-headed wagtails and Red-throated Pipits at Happisburgh in the early 90's, there were several there with white throats. As a young lad I always asssumed they were Ashy-headed, but think I was told they were 1st summer male Grey-headed ?

I remember Steve Gantlett standing behind me asking where the pipits were. There were at least two. Great day.

Not heard that one, I always thought grey-headed had at least some form of gorget across nthe breast however slight, this bird has none

John

www.kellingnature.zenfolio.com

Compared to me you are still a young lad!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Thought it was about time I did the Point in full this spring. It was certainly not worth the wait this time... The easterly winds felt promising though the forecast afternoon shower had been unforecast by the time we set out. Total haul in terms of grounded migrants was a rather disappointing 7+ Wheatears, 2 chiffchaffs, 1 Blackcap, 1 Whitethroat and 1 Sedge Warbler. Its often all or nothing at this time of year, we got the nothing.

We paid a visit to Winterton today. Within 10 minutes of arriving this female Hen Harrier appeared over the dunes and disappeared in a south-westerly direction. Annoyingly, I had decided to take my old camera and lens with me to save weight, so the photographs are not that good.

Apart from the Harrier the other highlight was two Woodcocks which burst out from the heather and flew away from us. There were lots of singing Skylarks, which are always a delight, and good numbers of Little Terns are building up on the beach now. There was a constant stream of them flying parallel to the beach and diving for food. They were making an incredible racket too. While this was going on a Grey Seal poked its head up a few metres offshore. There were quite a few Swallows swooping about over the dunes too.

It was a brilliant day in superb weather but, my word, it looks parched there at the moment. Some rain is desperately needed.

Ron

Attachments

• Hen harrier 1 small.jpg
    Hen harrier 1 small.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 275
  • Hen Harrier 2 small.jpg
    Hen Harrier 2 small.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 285
  • Winterton seal.jpg
    Winterton seal.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited: