• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

Did anyone else see the pair of sacred ibis at hickling broad nwt reserve today? I saw a pair flying over the reserve, anyone have any thoughts on the origin of these birds?

Two were seen there in mid-April, and on several dates last year. I think the consensus is they are from Thrigby's collection, which seems to not be too hot on the old 'keep your captive birds captive' routine.

With regards to Sacred Ibis getting onto the British List as birds from a Cat C population in Europe, the guidance is that it would take a ringed recovery or a large flock to be accepted as a first record, until then they are all presumed to be escapes.

Did anyone else see the pair of sacred ibis at hickling broad nwt reserve today? I saw a pair flying over the reserve, anyone have any thoughts on the origin of these birds?.

Message on RBA stated one bird was colour ringed so presumed escapes.

Sacred Ibis

Did anyone else see the pair of sacred ibis at hickling broad nwt reserve today? I saw a pair flying over the reserve, anyone have any thoughts on the origin of these birds? Thanks also present wood and common sandpipers, bittern, hobby.

We saw the birds this morning, initially flying around and then on the deck together in front of the hide immediately south of the visitor centre. One bird has a purple colour ring on its left leg, the other is unringed.

Stew

Titchwell May 11th

100 species seen on the reserve today on the 1st day of our Wings over Titchwell event

Today's highlights

Long eared owl - 1 photographed briefly in scrub behind Fen Hide early morning
Spoonbill - 1 west
Hobby - 2 west
Merlin - 1 over grazing meadow
Red crested pochard - pair on fresh marsh
Arctic tern- 2 on fresh marsh
Red kite - 1 west
Common sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Had a wonderful day at Cley with: 2 Grey Wagtails, 1 Yellow Wagtail, 3 Bullfinches, 2 Stonechats, 6 Wheatears, 1 Nightingale, 1 Common Sandpiper, 1 Barn Owl etc. Incredibly heavy rain late this afternoon!

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Sorry just being daft a cross between a Montagu's and Pallid Harrier
I think it's probably montagu's though, good job you had your camera with you and once again a very nice find. Did it look quite 'rakish' in the field ?

Stu, surely a straight cross would be a Pied ;) Agree on Monty and the photo taken with the bird on its downstroke is awesome

I swore I posted this a little while ago, post seems to have disappeared! I will post again:

Does anyone know who had the lovely find of 8 Bee-eaters today please - how fabulous!:t::t::t:

See what you mean when you said it was a bit of a botch Dave, misIding 8 Bee-eaters for 2 Hobbies, 1 Kestrel, 1 Sparrowhawk, a Buzzard and a bunch of Crows for a Redfoot is going some, almost as bad as not being able to do Roller :gh: ;)

Last edited:
Illegal gamekeeper activities

For those of you out there who are sick of hearing about illegal raptor persecution you now have a chance to do something about it. An e-petition calling for licensing of upland grouse moors and the keepers employed there has been uploaded to the DirectGov website. If it receives 100,000 signatures before Feb 2014 it will force a Parliamentary debate and possible subsequent legislation. Wing-tagged hen harriers from these areas have been recorded in Norfolk on several occasions. Get on-line at ... http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46473
... and add your name to try and get landowners and shoot organisers to be accountable for gamekeeping practices on their property.

For those of you out there who are sick of hearing about illegal raptor persecution you now have a chance to do something about it. An e-petition calling for licensing of upland grouse moors and the keepers employed there has been uploaded to the DirectGov website. If it receives 100,000 signatures before Feb 2014 it will force a Parliamentary debate and possible subsequent legislation. Wing-tagged hen harriers from these areas have been recorded in Norfolk on several occasions. Get on-line at ... http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46473
... and add your name to try and get landowners and shoot organisers to be accountable for gamekeeping practices on their property.

If not signed then noted as a conversation topic.
And so it is with joyous abandon I pass the reigns over to one Locustella. Not totally sure of the name though - what do you think, oh sacred birders of the Northern lowlands - Low Cost Ella or Coastgropper - over to you guys :cool:

Last edited:

thanks for this signed and posted on my facebook

The Wood Warbler was singing and showing well **site details removed** this morning between 5-5.40am. (Details removed)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back