• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (18 Viewers)

Terrible to admit this, but have just discovered an area of land near where I live that I didn't even know was there, that includes river, willows, dead trees with holes in!!, a small copse!!!!, meandering river etc etc. This evening after work saw a barn owl with a kestral following over a field!!!! and a small bird popped out of a hole in tree, couldn't see what it was, very dusky by that time. Since I have moved to Lynn a few years ago, I have never really thought about walking around here, as its very built up and don't really feel safe walking about in the area that I live, but after discovering all this about 10 minutes walk from me, I will have to take a risk!! My new local patch!!!!

:D

Yippee!!

Found and saw my first ever Firecrest this morning - on my local patch at Lound (not quite sure if this is in Norfolk or just over the border in Suffolk).
It looked stunning in the gorgeous early morning sunshine.

Well chuffed!!

Then I had to go to work and the day went downhill from there....

Ian

A wonderful afternoon watching 4 Stonechats and a Dartford Warbler all singing and diplaying whilst a Common Buzzard drifted overhead in North Norfolk. At Cley Lapwings were sky-dancing. At Warham Greens I saw Marsh and Hen Harriers as well as a Merlin on the saltmarsh whilst Little Egrets also enjoyed the Spring-like day as much as I did.
Fantastic!
Sue

SueBryan said:
A wonderful afternoon watching 4 Stonechats and a Dartford Warbler all singing and diplaying whilst a Common Buzzard drifted overhead in North Norfolk. At Cley Lapwings were sky-dancing. At Warham Greens I saw Marsh and Hen Harriers as well as a Merlin on the saltmarsh whilst Little Egrets also enjoyed the Spring-like day as much as I did.
Fantastic!
Sue

Hi Sue, sounds like you had a fantastic day! Whereabouts was the Dartford Warbler please, PM me if you prefer.

Cheers Penny

Penny Clarke said:
Hi Sue, sounds like you had a fantastic day! Whereabouts was the Dartford Warbler please, PM me if you prefer.

Cheers Penny

I will PM you Penny.

Also had a Brimstone in the garden before I left home and had a Small Tortoiseshell at school yesterday.
Sue

there have been four DW in east Norfolk alone lately. Guess they like the sunny weather!

had a peacock y'day and a Tortoiseshell and Red Admiral during last few weeks. Quite a few moths too but i haven't got my lamp sorted yet

Whooper over the house, Curlew, Egyptian Goose and Common Scoters heading north today. No albas yet though. Out every morning and evening now... it's great.

Binoculators said:
Yippee!!

Found and saw my first ever Firecrest this morning - on my local patch at Lound (not quite sure if this is in Norfolk or just over the border in Suffolk).
It looked stunning in the gorgeous early morning sunshine.

Well chuffed!!

Then I had to go to work and the day went downhill from there....

Ian

I'm pretty sure Lound is south of the border in Suffolk (or more strictly, Lizard land - see http://home.clara.net/ammodytes/). Still a great bird though!

Stuart

Up early yesterday before school to look for the Rough-legged Buzzard on Roydon Common without success but did have 30+ Redwings flying over. (If they were hoping to go to Scandinavia they were heading the wrong way!)
Sue

Thrushes south!

SueBryan said:
Up early yesterday before school to look for the Rough-legged Buzzard on Roydon Common without success but did have 30+ Redwings flying over. (If they were hoping to go to Scandinavia they were heading the wrong way!)
Sue

Thats interesting Sue, cos I've had Redwing & Fieldfare flocks - inland and these have been flying S or SE, maybe they are crossing the shortest distance to the continent then heading north. Had 100+ Fieldfare nr Ely yesterday and they were all moving SE.

Four tit boxes occupied, pond full of noisy frogs & a Brimstone yesterday.......they could be in for abit of a shock next week http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp.

Ta Chris

To Cley yesterday morning. Bit of an average day really - some fine views of marshies, over 150 avocets, a brief glimse of a bearded, otherwise the usual stuff. The scoter flock has gone, no shore larks. But the highlight of the day has to be the stoat that popped up as I was walking from the east hide to the cafe. He stopped and looked at me, I looked at him; he popped down, then popped up to see if I was still there. Went on for about 5 mins, absolutely brilliant. (wish I'd had a camera).

On the way back popped into Holt Lowes and was rewarded by two buzzards drifting through being mobbed by crows.

6 Common Buzzards, Marsh Harrier, Sparrowhawk and Kestrel; who said the school run was boring?!

Chiffchaff singing too...

James

Wensum Valley

took the old railway path out of Norwich & into the Wensum Valley yesterday for a look about. Spotted my first singing Chiffchaff of the year within 50 yds of path entrance (behind Halfords on Barker St) and several more along the valley itself through Costessey, Ringland, Sparham etc though none seemed to be outside the immediate valley area. .

on the meadows & paddocks between Norwich ring road underpass and Drayton ... 3 flocks c.15 - 20 Redwing, still a few Fieldfare but not many, couple of Song & Mistle Thrush's, a Green Woodpecker, Little Owl (rather pleased with that one), flock of 14 Jays (cant recall ever seeing a group like that before), a pair of kestrels and plenty of common tits /finches, Skylarks singing etc

got back onto the quiet conutry lanes just before Drayton and (was that a singing Blackcap in Ringland?, bit distant and caught me by surprise that one) after a quick nip into Sparham pools (3 Long-tailed tits flitting around & 2 singing Chiffchaffs) next stop was up the hill at Ryburgh watchpoint. Unfortunately nothing as exciting as Norfolkbirders 10 the other day but i werent about to sniff at 5 Buzzards, and a Sparrowhawk that'd flushed up from the verge. And a ouple of Lapwings chasing around the field with Skylarks & Yellowhammers

All in all a nice way to spend the best part of a day and Thanks to a signpost having been turned the wrong way round got in a few extra miles and a second Little Owl . Came back a different way and noted a couple of flocks of thrushes the biggest being c.60 Redwing at Tyby

edited to add the Wensum Valley Birdwatching Society website

Last edited:
HarassedDad said:
To Cley yesterday morning. Bit of an average day really - some fine views of marshies, over 150 avocets, a brief glimse of a bearded, otherwise the usual stuff. The scoter flock has gone, no shore larks. But the highlight of the day has to be the stoat that popped up as I was walking from the east hide to the cafe. He stopped and looked at me, I looked at him; he popped down, then popped up to see if I was still there. Went on for about 5 mins, absolutely brilliant. (wish I'd had a camera).

On the way back popped into Holt Lowes and was rewarded by two buzzards drifting through being mobbed by crows.

Whilst the stoat is lovely to see (and I would have enjoyed watching it as much as you) it is bad news for the Avocets and other ground nesting birds as they love eggs!
Sue

Frootshoot said:
6 Common Buzzards, Marsh Harrier, Sparrowhawk and Kestrel; who said the school run was boring?!

Chiffchaff singing too...

James

I suppose it depends whether you are having to spend the day inside a stuffy classroom or out and about birding I suppose ! (Although I did hear a chiffchaff singing in Sandringham Woods as my class were playing football !)
Sue

I have also had several large flocks of Redwings over Dersingham. Last Saturday had 125 west in 2 hours and on wednesday had 40 around the playing field. Driving to Wells last Sunday had at least 50 in fields near Walsingham.

Connor

3 Sand Martins were seen at 1.30pm over the dunes at Holme (see NOA website).

Chiff chaff still at Holme Marsh Reserve.

Hopefully I will see a sand martin tomorrow, maybe!!!!

Last day of the glorious weather before it turns!!!

out at the local spots with Ilya, Holly and Ben the dog today

Garganey (there over a week now) and 3 or 4 porpoises, plus Chiffchaff

as an aside, it's amazing how many people use the information services but don't put info out. Several people turned up to see the Garganey, yet there's only one report today. If i hadn't put it out last night, there'd have been no one there this morning i expect. Not a bad idea.

Last edited:
Fantastic day at Holme

Highlights: 1st Wheatear & Chiffchaff, Male Ring Ouzel & Female Merlin

Got up earlish this morning and arrived at Holme Golf Course by 8am.

Freezing cold, south west wind.

Gore Point Area - walked along the path landward side of dunes towards Gore Point. 2 grey wagtails flying west, 27 redshank in marshy pools, along with 10 avocets, 17 dunlin, 3 curlew, 4 pairs of Shelduck, 2 bar tailed godwits, 3 grey plover, loads of Skylarks and Meadow Pipits, greenfinches, 1 spotted redshank, pair of teal, 2 little egrets, 7 greylags flew west, 24 brent geese on shore, 10 avocets, pair of reed bunting, 1 song thrush (singing), 1 carrion crow (more seen later), 7 ringed plover at Gore Point, 3 linnets in sueda bushes, 4 oystercatchers and my first Wheatear bounded in off the sea, dived in behind a tuft of marram and I didn't see it again and neither did anyone else I don't think!!!! - that was 9.45am. A pied wagtail appeared in the muddy edges shortly after. Phoned through wheatear to HBO, NWT and Birdline. HBO informed me that they had seen a Ring Ouzel at Redwell marsh and it was seen again by golfcourse!!! Walked over dunes to 'Forestry' area, nothing much here, walked back along Firs Road (had left car at public loos) and near Pay Hut saw a pair of mistle thrushes. Started to walk back behind the back of the bungalows (in the old days, this area was red backed shrike territory!!!) in hope of seeing the Ring Ouzel. 60 redwings flew over going south. I could not believe my luck, in a hawthorn bush just to the right of the path sat the Ring Ouzel!!!!! It smiled nicely for me!!! and then up and left, flying across the path cackling into the bushes next to a narrow little path that links with the back of the village carpark - I walked down here to see if I could see it again, but no luck. Wow I was really pleased with that, and the sun had started to come out now aswell, about time, it was freezing!

After getting back to car I decided before going down to HBO to go to Holme Marsh Reserve for a while. 12pm now. 2 Jays along path to 1st hide, pair of bullfinch by 1st hide. From Hide, pair of tufted duck, pair of shelduck, curlew, 1st Chiffchaff singing and seen. Nothing much from 2nd hide. Along path to 3rd hide on the fields to right, 350+ woodpigeons, 100+ starlings and 45+ redwings all feeding together, took me ages to count that lot!!!! From 3rd hide, 1 redshank, a short eared owl being mobbed by carrion crows and black headed gulls, 1 long tailed tit 1 egyptian goose and my best ever view of a female Merlin coming straight for me!!!!!, it just skimmed past the hide and looked like it landed, I opened door of hide and there it was (well for a second!) sitting on the fence post and then up and went as it saw me!! Back to where car was parked, great, coal and blue tit flitting about in the trees and heard a green woodpecker.

Drove down to Holme Bird Observatory, a cetti's warbler was singing by NOA carpark, really beautiful sunny weather now. Ruddy duck on broad water opposite Firs House, 2 gold finches on feeders, plus 8 more at HBO. Tawny Owl calling in the pines, 2 goldcrests round the back of the pines, chaffinchs. The sea was coming in again, there was nobody really on the beach, lovely and the sun was going down, beautiful. A heron flew over the marsh, going back down the Firs Road. Back to mother's for scones and butter!!! and home again to Lynn.

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

P.S Apparently there is a Green Winged Teal, seen from Parrinder Hide at Titchwell RSPB, but I didn't bother to go down, maybe on Monday when there will be less people or probably no one if its snowing!!! (I have booked a day off :t: )

Last edited:
Fantastic indeed Penny..

Good to hear records for ring ouzel and wheatear coming in, two birds that might even stray into my territory!!

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back