• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (5 Viewers)

Woodchat shrike reported at Sheringham, east of Beeston Bump between pit and railway, from A149 take Nelson Road to end then follow track and view to north, still there now at 7.22pm.

Hi Connor,

Sorry for late reply. Can't remember the time the heron flew off. It was just before the rain set in the early afternoon. Biggest crowd i have ever seen for a Purple Heron so i'm sure someone can remember the time!

Will be staying up near Stiffkey on Friday and Saturday so hope to find some migrants - Winds not exactly looking good, but at this time of year anything can happen!!
Sacha

Male Garganey on Rush Hill this evening, several Little Gulls

and nice views of a Tawny Owl

Roe Deer on way to work - second in a couple of weeks.

Tim

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Bonapartes is still around?

The Bonaparts is probably still around but it often ends up on Swim Coots at Hickling and if it can't be seen from Weavers way you will probably need a boat from the visitor centre to see it!

I saw the Purple Heron with just a few minutes to spare as it did not stop long at Kelling Quags. As we were walkig back up the path an Osprey flew over and we managed to get it on the pager just in time for the people at Salthouse/Cley to see it as well.

Message to Penny...... I could not believe that the Bee-eater went to the Red Lion. Guess where we had our evening meal after we left you?
Great piccys Chris! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sue

Does anyone know whether NWT boat trips leave on the Sunday and whether the Bonapartes is being seen from current boat trips anyway? Or from Rush Hill Scrape?

Connor

We will be camping at Repps-with-Bastwick for week from this Saturday. We have one or two target species in mind.

Orioles - Lakenheath; Cetti's Warbler - Strumpshaw; Nightingale - Salthouse Heath (also Nightjar - or is Marsham a better bet?).

Apart from being close to Hickling and Horsey, among others, any advice on good walks local to the immediate area, aside from these "flagship" sites would be appreciated.

Also, is there a realistic chance of Savi's Warbler at Hickling?

Any suggestions/comments welcomed.

Thanks in advance
Gordon

Hey Gordon

there are so many excellent walks in the area

Somerton to Martham Broad and Heigham Holmes is an excellent spot

The coast from Winterton (nightjar) up to Sea Palling is a good walk for migrants.

The Weaver's Way around Hickling area is good - might jam in on the Boney's

Upton Fen is very good for dragonflies (Hairy, and Norfolk Hawker), Swallowtail and plants

Cetti's are everywhere, Savi's are very unlikely but try Hickling, Ranworth or any such suitable broadland area.

The Nelson's Head at Horsey is well worth a visit. Or two.

Last edited:
Message to Penny...... I could not believe that the Bee-eater went to the Red Lion. Guess where we had our evening meal after we left you?
Great piccys Chris! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sue

Hi Sue, isn't it frustrating, I have never been so gutted about a bird before!

Anyway I am on holiday tomorrow and all next week until Tuesday after bank holiday, hurrah!!!! So MAYBE I will find my own bee eater, well not over next few days maybe, lots of rain forecast I think!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Cheers Tim - doing the big sites in Norfolk is great (easy and relaxing - and often rewarding) but just strolling around is a real pleasure. Coming down from Scotland and only having a week means asking locals for that kind of info makes a big difference.

And I would have expected nothing less from you than the inclusion of a recommendation for a good pub!!!

thanks again
Gordon

P.S.
If you happen to be the Nelson's Head try spotting the Scotsman/woman and you'll be rewarded with the drink of your choice - we're not all mean (careful - yes!!)

If you happen to be the Nelson's Head try spotting the Scotsman/woman

Are you pre-op or post-op then? :eek!:

I'm sure you'll get a bit more up-to-date gen on this thread before setting off. I will be knocking around (and in the Nelson's now and again) with a sandy greyhound and the good lady probably...

atb
Tim

Its a bit late - took me a minute to click!!!! I thought you had me confused with Jane Turner there for a moment.

Like yourself - the good lady will (certainly) be there. We should be easy enough to spot as we both fit (one of) the Scottish stereotypes - we're both small.

There's a good chance we'll be in there on Wednesday night - to check out the Champions final - I'm assuming they'll have the telly on.

cheers
Gordon

Hi Tim and All,
9 days to threads 1st birthday congratulations wouldnt have a clue how that rates. I fell over this thread just now not a consistant visitor to BF. Reading the first couple of pages, the locations being mentioned were completely foreign to me but still interested I thought a local map would be good so as we that dont know the area could follow your journeys. So I'll make the sugestion but before I put my foot in it there must be some simple IT way around this, Google Earth but to cut a long storey short it wasnt that quick but gave me great perspective of the area. Wandering how difficult would it be or necessary to add a local map of the area and maybe Inset map of England. Maybe others in the world may benefit?, Hoping I havent put my foot in it I'm not IT literate a bit iliterate, I didn't read the 49 pages as yet but did search for map in thread so not already addressed hopefully.
Regards George
PS Goes without saying great thread

Hi again Google Earth is probably the best way to track peoples adventures just dont misspell and add UK to the name unless you want USA

Could only spare an hour or so at Titchwell yeasterday to see the Temminck's Stint feeding on an island near the pathway between the two hides. As I was walking back up the path a Ruddy Duck flew from the Wildfowler's pool over the path and promptly disappeared (I don't blame it given the persecution of them!)
All this rain has made the ants active in my lawn and a Green Woodpecker is busy gorging himself. My Blackbirds and Great Tits have fledged from the nest and box all OK, but the Blue Tits are still busy in their box. I can't fill the feeders up quick enough. By golly all my birds are a hungry little lot!
Oh well off to work................grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Sue

Hi Tim and All,
Wandering how difficult would it be or necessary to add a local map of the area and maybe Inset map of England. Maybe others in the world may benefit?, Hoping I havent put my foot in it I'm not IT literate a bit iliterate, I didn't read the 49 pages as yet but did search for map in thread so not already addressed hopefully.
Regards George
PS Goes without saying great thread

Hi George

You have a very good point. I am sure somebody else, will be able to provide some detailed maps, but hope this helps for now, if you double click the Norfolk area (Norwich on map) you will see lots of the villages/towns that are mentioned on this thread. Sea Palling where Tim is based, is north east Norfolk. Cley and Titchwell are North Norfolk and Holme next Sea/Snettisham is north/west Norfolk (all on the coast).

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=

Last edited:
We will be camping at Repps-with-Bastwick for week from this Saturday. We have one or two target species in mind.

Orioles - Lakenheath; Cetti's Warbler - Strumpshaw; Nightingale - Salthouse Heath (also Nightjar - or is Marsham a better bet?).

Apart from being close to Hickling and Horsey, among others, any advice on good walks local to the immediate area, aside from these "flagship" sites would be appreciated.

Also, is there a realistic chance of Savi's Warbler at Hickling?

Any suggestions/comments welcomed.

Thanks in advance
Gordon

These two sites might have some information which is useful to you:

http://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/home/index.htm
http://wildsofnorfolk.co.uk/reserves/reserves.htm

If you do find yourself in the Nelson's Head just remember these words: "A pint of Wherry please".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back