• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Coolpix 4500 (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I'm just started with digiscoping, and the first pictures look great. I have two questions. I used the camerasettings recommended by Eagle Eye Optics. All pictures containing some white ( the skie or some feathers) have a blue/purple glow around the white. Has this to do with the settings for whitebalance and how can this be avoid ?.

The other is not realy a question, but is a delay of 1 sec normal between focussing and taking a picture? I have a some problems that the birds are moving in that period.

Thanks,

Spike

Last edited:
BrianB said:
Hi Spike, and welcome to BF - I use the same camera and have the same problem. What scope are you using? I think it may have something to do with it.

Hi Brian,

I use a Kowa TSN 821 M spottingscope with a 20-60 X zoom oculair.

Spike

Hi Spike - welcome to the forum! I think Harmelen is in the Netherlands - hope I'm correct here!!!! I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer your question.

Spike one of the annnoying traits of the Nikon 4500 is the time lag delay between pressing the shutter and the camera storing the image on the memory card. I'm afraid that as far as I am away there is nothing you can do about it. I've a filefull of empty perches from pressing the shutter only to find the bird had flown before the Nikon got the picture stored in memory!! :C

Hi Spike, welcome to birdforum from all the staff here.
Much of this colour fringing is down to the quality of glass in the scope, unless you purchase a top-end scope with APO/ED/HD/Fluorite glass, you're always likely to get this in certain light conditions...bird against bright background.
Have a look here.... http://www.digiscoped.com/Digiscopingwithphotoshop.html
there's an American Kestrel here taken with the very same scope as yourself...with a few minutes in photoshop you can remove the worst of colour fringing.

The delay between pushing the shutter release button on the camera and the photo actually being taken can be reduced if you prefocus on the bird by half-pressing the button to get a focus lock on the subject, then a further press will take the shot immediately. Using the 'infinity' focus mode on the camera also speeds things up as it bypasses the autofocus but I still reckon 'macro' produces the best results in general.
Regards,
Andy
Spike Edney said:
Hi,

I'm just started with digiscoping, and the first pictures look great. I have two questions. I used the camerasettings recommended by Eagle Eye Optics. All pictures containing some white ( the skie or some feathers) have a blue/purple glow around the white. Has this to do with the settings for whitebalance and how can this be avoid ?.

The other is not realy a question, but is a delay of 1 sec normal between focussing and taking a picture? I have a some problems that the birds are moving in that period.

Thanks,

Spike

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back