• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (18 Viewers)

Does anyone have directions to Orgreave Lagoon please? I only live half an hour away but have never visited the place ? I would be going from the North end of Sheffield and down the M1 ..

Something exciting lurks therein .... Or at least it did today anyway .. ;)

Thanks ..

Hey up Phill, long time no see !!

Hope you are well mate and thanks very much for the map .. Ive got as far as finding that I can access Orgreave via Hemmingway Close but now I need to find out where to go after that !!

Just follow the two footbridges at the end of Hemmingway Close and you're there (turn left at the end of the second one).

I did a map for someone a while back of all the locations round there once (Bolehill Flash, Treeton Dyke, Catcliffe Flash etc.). All worth a look while you're there - drop me an email if you want it.

(And if you see the Phalarope, tell it to hang around till Saturday morning! ;) )

Last edited:
Hey up Phill, long time no see !!

Hope you are well mate and thanks very much for the map .. Ive got as far as finding that I can access Orgreave via Hemmingway Close but now I need to find out where to go after that !!

Take the footbridge over the railway below Hemmingway Close (you can see the lake from here) walk towards the river and cross the metal bridge to lake. Phalarope was favouring the north end and Twite were 100 yds south of the drain (red float in water) feeding along the edge by deep water sign.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Dave doing ok hope you are haven't been to old moor in a while. you have to park in the cul de sac and walk down the lane ive put in red hope it helps .Dont know if this is the lake you want but its the big one there is a foot bridge that goes to the river and a quarry .

Attachments

• Capture3 copy.jpg
    Capture3 copy.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Hi Dave doing ok hope you are haven't been to old moor in a while. you have to park in the cul de sac and walk down the lane ive put in red hope it helps .Dont know if this is the lake you want but its the big one there is a foot bridge that goes to the river and a quarry .

Don't take this the wrong way Phil, but have you actually ever been to Orgreave? The large lake is Treeton Dyke that is where your red line takes you, there is no quarry that is the former opencast! The three small lakes are actually Orgreave (now two lakes). Follow my earlier directions and you wont go wrong.

Last edited:
No probs put a new map up with where i think you mean have a look see if it right cheers .In the other post i did .Quarry /opencast didnt know there was a diffrence lol.

Last edited:
Just follow the two footbridges at the end of Hemmingway Close and you're there (turn left at the end of the second one).

I did a map for someone a while back of all the locations round there once (Bolehill Flash, Treeton Dyke, Catcliffe Flash etc.). All worth a look while you're there - drop me an email if you want it.

(And if you see the Phalarope, tell it to hang around till Saturday morning! ;) )

Thanks Pete ...

I'll have word with the Phal and try to steer it to the flash on the Chase !!

Take the footbridge over the railway below Hemmingway Close (you can see the lake from here) walk towards the river and cross the metal bridge to lake. Phalarope was favouring the north end and Twite were 100 yds south of the drain (red float in water) feeding along the edge by deep water sign.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks very much Mark ..

Read your blog on a daily basis mate .. Keep up the good work !!

Dave.

Thanks Pete ...

I'll have word with the Phal and try to steer it to the flash on the Chase !!

I had the same problem of knowing how to access Orgreave until I finally decided to sort it out earlier this year as so many birds were reported there. Had a lot of good birds there this year culminating in the Grey Phalarope yesterday-a lifer for me. I'm in north Sheffield too (Loxley);if you fancy a trip over there I should be glad to show you-you can contact through facebook page. Enjoy your Old Moor reports! Pity I've dipped out on the water pipit(another lifer) 3 times now.

Izzy & Hoody

IsabellineWheatear001edited.jpg

HoodedCrow003edited.jpg

I had the same problem of knowing how to access Orgreave until I finally decided to sort it out earlier this year as so many birds were reported there. Had a lot of good birds there this year culminating in the Grey Phalarope yesterday-a lifer for me. I'm in north Sheffield too (Loxley);if you fancy a trip over there I should be glad to show you-you can contact through facebook page. Enjoy your Old Moor reports! Pity I've dipped out on the water pipit(another lifer) 3 times now.

Thanks very much Gary ..

I found Orgreave OK and was there from about 7:15am .. Plenty to see but no phal or twite .. I even managed to miss the snow bunt too !!

A good day :-O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back