• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Complete families of birds seen (2 Viewers)

Anatidae must be do'able and that's a decent sized list ditto Accipitridae, Falconidae and Cuckoos?

Anyone got all the Laughingthrushes?

A

I would guess James Eaton is closest to a full set of laughers; think he may just need spot-breasted? Certainly not an easy clear up.

Cheers, a

I would definitely assume that as an order, Divers have to be up there for ease given there are only five species. I've got the three UK regulars, but missed the other two in Japan where I was hoping to complete them.

Another comparatively easy one would be Hoatzin, if you were to visit the right countries anyway? Rheas probably also similarly.

I don't think I've got any particularly spectacular scores myself... I guess I've completed the genuses Tetrax, Neophron, Aegypius, Cyanopica, Pyrrhocorax and Panurus? None of which is bigger than two species granted...

42 complete families, but at least half of those only have 1 species in them. The largest have 7 species, Skuas and New World Vultures.

Anyone got all or most of the Antpittas?

A lot easier now that they started feeding some of them.

Are all the Cotingas 'gettable' and what about Mannakins?

A

Last edited:
Twelve (or thirteen) for me:

Hamerkop
Osprey*
Sunbittern
Limpkin
Egyptian Plover
Ibisbill
Crab Plover
Hoatzin
Wallcreeper
Donacobius
Oxpeckers
Olive Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat

*Split by IOC.

Dave

Think this thread's been done before. I'm still on two 10's (Thicknees, and Stilts/Avocets, but I've finally cleaned up on Pelicans (8) while here in Peru :)

For me (excluding single-species families):

New World Vultures
Skuas
Darters
Oxpeckers

One shy on the dippers

I sometimes fantasize of doing an antpitta big year, a la Chris Goodie's year-long pitta adventure.

For me (excluding single-species families):

New World Vultures
Skuas
Darters
Oxpeckers

One shy on the dippers

I sometimes fantasize of doing an antpitta big year, a la Chris Goodie's year-long pitta adventure.

Ah, I do have those but still, a 2 species family isn't much more impressive than 1 is it!

Are all the Antpittas realistically, available

A

Ah, I do have those but still, a 2 species family isn't much more impressive than 1 is it!

A

As far as I know, yes, though I don't have specific knowledge of all species. Certainly with more and more species being trained to come to worms the prospect of getting them all seems doable, though it would still require a lot of time and effort - there are so many range-restricted species, and plenty of difficult ones (e.g. Undulated, Crested-faced) that don't come to worms (yet?).

A

I'm only 2 short on the oxpeckers, but a round 0 on antpittae

Got all the divers, though (and all in Northumbs, tho not all this year).

Undulated sometimes comes to Worms, but some species are still very very very hard to get. One in particular, Tachira antpitta, is still not within reach of us, visiting mortals.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back