• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Best Way to Attach a Neckstrap to your Binos? (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
I have attached neckstraps/lanyards to binos in the same way ever since learning how to do it from a Zeiss brochure back in the 1970s. This method has proved so reliable I never thought about modifying it to make it better, until now.

This year, 3 different models of binos using my old strap method have slipped their neckstraps through the buckle and have fallen downwards. Fortunately none of them came to any lasting harm but it caused me to experiment and then to discuss it with Pete Gamby, our good friend at Opticron, and he showed me a way that is tidier and more secure than my old method.

As it happens, Opticron have also made a video that shows this method being put into action and by golly its a lot easier to watch this than it is to describe.

So with thanks to Pete Gamby and to Opticron, go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqyG9cymiYQ

The new bits for me are the folding of the strap to the outside following passing it through the loop on the bino and the last folding downwards of the end of the strap and passing under the lowest bar of the buckle again. This not only tidies up the loose end but makes the connection really secure. It may be that many of your already know and use this technique but for those that don't it comes recommended.

Lee

Last edited:
The hassle of fitting these things is something I detest - just as well that I'm satisfied with my current armamentarium of bins and probably won't ever change them (yes I know, "optics lust"...). But should it ever be necessary, this video could come in very useful, so cheers Lee.

I think once you try the new Swarovski Field Pro strap attachment system you will never want to go back to the old strap system. It is more secure and tidier and much easier to install and the binoculars hang nicer because the strap swivels. Here is a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODXL7pZBTSM

Thanks Dennis, that is also a cool system, but unless the whole sports optics world adopts the SwaroWay, a few of us will have to struggle along with the traditional strap. Kudos to Swaro for coming up with an original take on this but not everyone likes the look of the two knobs on the binos. Nevertheless thanks for link.

Lee

How much did that cost to put in a rubber gasket on a bushing with locking cap. Perhaps it could be an option on future binos of all brands.

Year 2027

Optics Dealer

Anywhere

Sir would you like the standard loop on your binocular case for your strap or would you like the swaro which cost an additional $200.00. The price does not include the strap/nylon cable just the bushing, rubber gasket and locking mechanism.

Regards,

Andy W.

I think once you try the new Swarovski Field Pro strap attachment system you will never want to go back to the old strap system. It is more secure and tidier and much easier to install and the binoculars hang nicer because the strap swivels. Here is a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODXL7pZBTSM

Couldn't agree more... I can go from OEM strap to RYULH below in less than 30 seconds. I can adjust the LENGTH of the OEM strap in 10-15 seconds. The other method of attaching/adjusting a strap is quite simply, archaic.. This should have been improved upon WAY before it was.

I have talked about Rick Young's Bino Harness here before. I use two of the harnesses and have multiple extra attachments. Those two strap harnesses suffice on all my binoculars. The harness is about $25.00. The extra clips are $5.00 as are a neat strap attachment.

http://rickyoungoutdoors.com/bino-harness/

http://rickyoungoutdoors.com/bino-accessories/

That strap attachment accessory will work on lots of things

^^^^^THIS!
I use this harness EVERY TIME I go birding... It makes it easy to carry and use two binoculars, say a 7X and a 10X....one in front and one kinda under your arm.
I have one ready to go on every binocular I use regularly. Can easily change to a different binocular. Such a simple but super accessory! I attach with wire ties usually.

It is such a hassle to install a strap the old way. That extra step of reinserting the strap through in the opposite direction can really be tough because there is not much clearance and you are right if you don't the strap can come off. I wish all the manufacturers would change over to Swarovski's method but maybe the patent rights have to expire. It is so nice it almost makes me want to buy Swarovski's for the Field Pro strap attachment system. It makes it so easy to change back and forth from strap to harness or a different strap because all you do is click the release button's and take the strap off and click the harness or strap on. You just make sure the button doesn't turn and your good to go.

Please forgive me for making this observation but I do not envision the mass obsolescence of millions of binoculars being caused by Swarovski's Field Pro strap attachment. :smoke:

I am confident that people will still use the current methods of attaching the straps that come with their binoculars, cussing and bitching all the time while going through the procedure of putting them on the binocular.:C:storm::stuck::h?:

Bob

I could see in time many manufacturers using a method similar to Swarovski's Field Pro attachment for securing binocular straps. It makes a lot of sense.

Like Bob, please forgive this observation. ;) But it seems you're preparing to go back to the old All Dennis Mode. We went from the alphas on their death bed to you going back to Swarovski. I'm glad you like it. :t: However, I have to wonder if we are on the verge of another all Swarovski all the time era. You have been all over the place with your new Swarovski. I'm beginning to see the incubation of another episode of Dennis has a new binocular. Nothing wrong with that, but it is pretty predictable, as will be the death of this Swarovski replaced by yet another episode... I hope I'm off the mark here.

Yes that looks like an neat attachment system. Any bets Swarovski legal will pounce on any pretender? Remember the dual hinge brouhaha a few years back?

Enjoy the new CL and have a Merry Christmas ;)

Last edited:
After hassling with attaching binocular straps for years I am just impressed with the fact that a manufacturer has developed a method to make it easier. I don't really care who did it. I wish the rest would follow suit. Yes, I am very impressed with the new Swarovski CL 8x30 and I think a lot of other people will be too once they try them. Your all over the place with Maven's and it doesn't bother me one bit. They are very fine binoculars. ;)

Last edited:
After hassling with attaching binocular straps for years I am just impressed with the fact that a manufacturer has developed a method to make it easier. I don't really care who did it. I wish the rest would follow suit. Yes, I am very impressed with the new Swarovski CL 8x30 and I think a lot of other people will be too once they try them. Your all over the place with Maven's and it doesn't bother me one bit. They are very fine binoculars. ;)

Dennis,

So am I impressed with the new Swarovski binocular straps and if I ever get one I would also find it prudent to get a back up strap for it. It is always nice to have back up binocular straps and everybody has some of the current straps now in use in their binocular odd equipment drawer. They do come in handy!:king:

Bob

Dennis,

So am I impressed with the new Swarovski binocular straps and if I ever get one I would also find it prudent to get a back up strap for it. It is always nice to have back up binocular straps and everybody has some of the current straps now in use in their binocular odd equipment drawer. They do come in handy!:king:

Bob
Swarovski also makes an adaptor so you can use the normal straps you have with the Field Pro Connectors.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1131086-REG/swarovski_44308_el_series_strap_loop.html

Steve and Chuck

How do you attach a rainguard to your harness? Or do you have it hanging from a separate cord?

Lee

Just bought some cheap generic straps off eBay as the leather ones on some old bins I picked up recently were a little a”fragile” (the box strap on one failed when I was carrying it and I “tested” the others I had. I’m going to play with the Peak Design camera strap system https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/ so that one nice strap can work with multiple bins... then I don’t have the problem of cramming the strap into the case, which is hard with some of bins.

Peter

Dennis, post 15,
It seems that you have not used or tried a "normal"strap adapter to the new Cl Companions and I doubt if you can at all, since for the CL's such an adapter does not exist and the adapters available for the EL-SV's do not fit at all. I have asked Swarovski to make/supply a "normal strap" adapter also for the CL's.
Gijs van Ginkel

I had a problem with the strap slipping through the buckle a couple of years ago after having no problems in twenty years, so to overcome it, I simple re-threaded the strap through the buckle, then sewed the loose end onto the main strap so there's no way now it's going to slip through again.

Steve and Chuck

How do you attach a rainguard to your harness? Or do you have it hanging from a separate cord?

Lee

Lee,

When I do have a rainguard attached, it's on a separate tether. Rick Young has a couple of such "lens cap retention kits." That's the primary way I do it. Lately, if I know the weather is going to be nice and sunny, no rainguard goes with me at all...leave it in the case.

If I know there will be a chance of rain or rain seems likely I take a EL SV with an attached Swarovski bio guard usually.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back