• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange squirrel behavior on my ground tray (1 Viewer)

UtahnBirder

Has anyone else experienced this before?

The other day, my ground feeding tray, which has a mix of millet and black oil sunflower seeds, was full of pine cones. I thought that was bizarre, threw them all out, and today the pine cones are back. I haven't seen a squirrel do this, but they are definitely my number one suspect. The tray is directly below my pine trees, but there's no way that naturally falling pine cones have filled the tray to this density.

Why would a squirrel do this? A quick google search didn't reveal any information.

Squirrels do hoard away food for the winter, but I've never known one to do it that open a spot- I find cones stacked up in hidden places.

I could make a joke about maybe your little friend being inspired by religious awe at your magic ever-replenishing food dish, but I don't want to incur the wrath of any squirrel god there might be around; I have enough trouble with the critters as it is.

I found the tray refilled again today. Hopefully one of these days I'll see the guy doing it.

I did briefly consider the idea that he was just covering up all the good food with pine cones to hide the good stuff from the birds, but I'm probably just projecting my own prejudices!

I found the tray refilled again today. Hopefully one of these days I'll see the guy doing it.

I did briefly consider the idea that he was just covering up all the good food with pine cones to hide the good stuff from the birds, but I'm probably just projecting my own prejudices!

That could be of course, it would show quite an advancement in SQ IQ, Darwin in action maybe. Mine would just make off with the food and leave it at that, and there are plenty of them to do it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back