• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some Notes from a Field. (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Well, 2 fields to be a little more precise… but no matter.

Life has begun anew with a relocation down to the ‘best birding county’ in the UK, Cornwall, and a bit of a phase shift. Now joining the landowning masses, with aims of becoming a small scale farmer/smallholder/market gardener/survivor, I have about 5 and a half acres of pasture fields, with hedgerows, which we intend to farm organically, and generally improve for wildlife along the way. We moved down at the end of August, renting in the delightful (?) and busy town of Falmouth, meaning an unfortunate daily commute and a damp house to live in.

I’ve been monitoring the wildlife at the fields with 60 or so species of birds seen from or on the land, regular moth trapping and other incidental wildlife recorded. A visit for 3 weeks in May to try and set up some of the basic infrastructure resulted in a few extra species seen, with both Osprey and Black Kite over in one rather extreme afternoon!

The floral diversity of the fields, improved pastureland, is not great, and the Cornish hedgerows contain very few trees of note, mature or otherwise, Blackthorn predominating in almost monocultural fashion. 50 or so plant species noted so far nonetheless.

Barn Owl(s) usually seen each evening, with one often visible roosting in its newly installed roost box in a neighbours field. Woodcock regular and a flock of c. 50 Meadow Pipit about (it was 200 earlier in the autumn). At the moment (end of November, seemingly endless gales coming in from the west) it is pretty windswept and bleak, but it can only get better? At some point?

It's great to hear about your land and new life DTM. How lovely it sounds.

Any piccies yet?

It'll take a while, I'm sure, but you'll gradually see the results of all your hard work.

D

Nice one Dan, only 3 months til Spring!... Gissa shout if you need horticultural advice!

I'm 13 species behind so far, but I missed all the summer migrants!

Cheers Delia. Might be a bit of a slog, but it's going to be an adventure... and the birding/wildlife along the way will be the bonus....

There will be pics :t: (But of what quality, we shall see....)

Nice one Dan, only 3 months til Spring!... Gissa shout if you need horticultural advice!

I'm 13 species behind so far, but I missed all the summer migrants!

Cheers, looking forward to the growing season proper. I've had allotments before, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of new things I'll need advice on....

And I'm sure you'll overtake me come next summer... 80 is my target for the first 12 months. Will be running out of 'expected' species fairly soon...

Sounds idyllic, DTM, except for the hard work bit....Congratulations on the move!:t:

Thanks Sancho. I'll try and hang onto the idea of the idyll bit, and I'm sure it'll get there...

Anyway, that's the scene set;

.... A taste of the birdlife this afternoon...

30th Nov 2009

Arrived and walked through the gateway (too muddy to drive it) to a mini-plethora of passerines in the hedgerow and the muddy trackway part of the field. Of course the bins were still in the car... Blackbirds, finches and Meadow Pipits seemed to be the score though...

Returning with a second armful of stuff, and bins, I more easily resolved the flitting waifs into numbers, with;

Meadow Pipit c.50
Bullfinch 4, feeding on the docks (they're good for something then)
Goldfinch 2
Blackbird 2 (3 in total)
Song Thrush 2
Rook 1, flying over

The (female) Barn Owl was still sat in the entrance to her box, the other already out hunting in the field. Not a bad move given the bad weather recently and the need to feed...

Additional species seen over the 2 hours;

Redwing 3 flying over
Wren 1
Robin 2
Greenfinch 2
Dunnock 2
Blue Tit 3
Great Tit 1
Chaffinch 12
Magpie 1
Jackdaw several flying over, large flock distantly
Carrion Crow ditto
Herring Gull, distant in flight and flying overhead
Starling, several flying through and in nearby trees.
Woodpigeon flying over
Grey Wagtail 2 flying over
Raven 2 flying over
Tawny Owl (heard only)
Woodcock 1 at dusk flying over
Snipe 1 at dusk flying towards neighbours pond

The latter 3 experienced whilst waiting for the ducks to go to bed, the rest as I pulled docks and moved black plastic ground cover around, work stuff, and a sneaky 'walking the bounds' (ok, 20 minutes of actual birding ;) )

Hope the Khaki Campbells are fattening nicely......great to see your set-up, hope it won't be too long before the next visit....when you're suppressing a wintering Yellow Browed Bunting or summat. Good luck!

Danthe........re 'the delightful[?] and busy town of Falmouth.......
I fully understand your question mark after the 'delightful'...;)
Actually....it's not a bad place..there are some great walks from the town...and i've done most of them! I've stayed in Falmouth many times in the past ten years or so, often in late summer. Usually i would get up at some unearthly hour in order to drive down to Gworra for a 'spot' of sea-watching.....[i know where every speed camera is en route from Falmouth to Gworra]...or i did...until a couple of years ago when i stopped goin down south...[hopefully i will start going down again soon...i miss the sea-watches]...!

ps....there are some very interesting 'sorts' around the town aren't there...?;)

Exciting times, eh Dan?!
Resident Barn owls...wow.
Look forward to more.
Well done with the new land-owning thing.

Good luck to you Dan with the small holding.........spent the last 30+ years married to a small farmer, recently retired. It's bl**** hard work at times but has it's compensations and rewards for sure. Good on ya!! :t:

Danthe........re 'the delightful[?] and busy town of Falmouth.......

ps....there are some very interesting 'sorts' around the town aren't there...?;)

Have to meet up for a sesh if/when you make it this way ...plenty of ageing hippies and boat people about, they've cleaned out a lot of the people living on boats though to make way for development.

Definitely the best thing about Falmouth for me though is having Sandhoppers in the garden!! Excellent wee beasties. ;)

(btw.. I am perfectly 'normal' and uninteresting in the real world lol...)

Exciting times, eh Dan?!
Resident Barn owls...wow.
Look forward to more.
Well done with the new land-owning thing.

Good luck to you Dan with the small holding.........spent the last 30+ years married to a small farmer, recently retired. It's bl**** hard work at times but has it's compensations and rewards for sure. Good on ya!! :t:

Cheers guys. :t: What I've always wanted to do(/have my own nature reserve), of course I wanted a bigger patch and a bit more of wilderness, but then you'd get a different set of issues... the birds seem good enough considering though. Should be doing more preparation at the moment, the weather not that conducive though.

1st Dec 2009

In addition to the above 'regulars' a pair of Stonechats in the field were nice. Not sure if we have a regular pair, or birds are still moving through. Hadn't seen them for a week at least. Again using the docks and posts as lookouts. 2 Fieldfare flew over just as I was leaving with the large local Starling flock. Main excitement however was just after I'd left and quarter of a mile down the road - large white bird flying towards me and seen through the trees - Little Egret. Nice and close, and flying towards the field, so did a quick about turn in a gateway, but alas it probably dipped down into the valley instead of remaining aloft. Will have to wait for that one for the field list, but a good possibility at some stage....

Good on you Dan, here's wishing you all the best. I bought a plot of land some 5 years back, most satisfying way to aquire a local patch - all the better 'cos you can actually do all those little things to make the patch better.

My species total now up to 146, last addition a Kingfisher back in late summer.

Have to meet up for a sesh if/when you make it this way ...plenty of ageing hippies and boat people about, they've cleaned out a lot of the people living on boats though to make way for development.

Definitely the best thing about Falmouth for me though is having Sandhoppers in the garden!! Excellent wee beasties. ;)

(btw.. I am perfectly 'normal' and uninteresting in the real world lol...)

Danthe.....in the 'real world' i am just the same as i 'appear' to be on BF....:eek!:.....[chuckle]...!

ps....am gonna try to get down to Falmouth next autumn...so beware...another 'wee beasty' will be about....;)...[be good to meet up for a 'sesh']....

pps.....Falmouth is a weird place....some great artists n musicians down there tho....amongst all the 'hippy-types'....[waifs n strays just seem to wash up on the beaches]....! All the best....:t:

Hope the Khaki Campbells are fattening nicely......great to see your set-up, hope it won't be too long before the next visit....when you're suppressing a wintering Yellow Browed Bunting or summat. Good luck!

Sorry, didn't actually miss this post, just was hoping to reply with some pics of the feathered friends in question, unfortunately it doesn't seem to have happened... anyway... cheers, there should be a shed at least for a cuppa next time around :eat:

And I only believe in supressing scarcities which anyone can find ;) A real rare should of course be shared, and hopefully one could also take advantage of the situation (not that it will) to raise funds for much needed on site conservation/tea fund etc ... as well as the kudos thing whatever...

On the bunting note;

8th December 2009

A field tick occurred in the shape of a medium small passerine as I was walking back to the car in the entrance gateway. A female type Reed Bunting flew up from the grass and perched nervously awhile in the Blackthorn hedge, calling softly before flying off out of view. Nice, especially as we are on the hillside/top as opposed to being down in the lower valley more bunting type of habitat....

Last edited:
Good on you Dan, here's wishing you all the best. I bought a plot of land some 5 years back, most satisfying way to aquire a local patch - all the better 'cos you can actually do all those little things to make the patch better.

My species total now up to 146, last addition a Kingfisher back in late summer.

I'd loved to have bought overseas, unfortunately I don't do languages and kind of still like the WP area. Would have quite possibly gotten a much better deal. Ah well.

I think my aims listwise will also have to possibly be a little lower than yours, although Kingfisher always a possibility now that I have a 3' by 5' pond on site .....;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back