• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID maybe "Big Pale Heuglini" in Cyprus (1 Viewer)

Φ-Filippos

Hi friends,

this gull was photographed yesterday at Larnaca, Cyprus. It was in a flock of 30+ comprising of L.michahellis and L. armenicus.
It seemed a Largish Gull among the other, and displayed aggresive behaviour when another Gull got to close to it.
Enough other features, such as mantle, legs, head shape, etc seem to suggest this is a "Big Pale Heuglini" ?

Please give me your expert opinions !

best wishes

Filippos

Attachments

• ????? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ?????? ????? 22???2015_U1A9625sm.jpg
    ????? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ?????? ????? 22???2015_U1A9625sm.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Gull maybe heuglini type Spiros beach 22sep2015_U1A9685smaller.jpg
    Gull maybe heuglini type Spiros beach 22sep2015_U1A9685smaller.jpg
    887.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Maybe big pale heuglini against immature other Spiros beach 22sep2015_U1A9709sm.jpg
    Maybe big pale heuglini against immature other Spiros beach 22sep2015_U1A9709sm.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 87
  • maybe big pale heuglini vs other Spiros beach 22sep2015_U1A9711smaller.jpg
    maybe big pale heuglini vs other Spiros beach 22sep2015_U1A9711smaller.jpg
    950.5 KB · Views: 95
hi filippos,

your bird looks like a 3rd cycle cachinnans to me although p10 tongue (ventral) is very short. but a heuglini (as per peter adriaens) is supposed to have a diagonal tongue end and a darker mantle. it's not yet clear what those "big pale heuglinis" are in fact. maybe a mix of cachi and heuglini, some pass on the eastern black sea shore, some winter in cyprus, crete, the levante, the gulf region..

Dear friends,

a friend that was with me managed some photos of the same gull flying. Maybe these could help more.

thanks

Attachments

• DU4A0685b.jpg
    DU4A0685b.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 97
  • DU4A0684.jpg
    DU4A0684.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 89
  • DU4A0683sm.jpg
    DU4A0683sm.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 91
Regarding, features like: dark Kodak, small P10 mirror only, lack of tongues in inner pps., bill shape, peppering eyes for imm gulls, are not that typical for Caspian Gull, especially the last flying pics. when the upperparts looked dark and suggestive for heuglini better.

Omar

Thanks Lou! I enjoyed reading the article.

I guess its a mystery bird (I dont like "misery bird" !). Nothing much we can do about it! But it still nevertheless is a very interesting subeject for research.

Thanks for the link, I'd heard about the trip but not yet read any write-up. It seems that confirming the ID of extra-limital barabensis could be tricky.
I'm interested in gull ID, but very much a beginner. My initial guess for the Cyprus bird was heuglini due mainly to the mantle colour, is this now the likely ID following on from the flight shots showing the extent of black in the primaries and pattern of p10? Genuine question as keen to learn more about Caspian and Heuglins.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back