• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snypex Knight D-ED 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Dan2nd

Snypex Knight D-ED 10x42

I recently acquired the new Snypex Knight D-ED 10x42 binocular and here is what my thoughts are after spending some time with them. It was less than a year ago that I first read about them.

The good:

Sharpness is excellent and remains so out to at least 90% of a very wide view. Specs state 351 ft. These have ED glass and utilize an Apochromatic lens configuration that are evident in the brilliant sharpness and color fidelity
Chromatic aberration is none-existent in center and becomes somewhat evident roughly 75% out from center.

Eye relief is very good. I wear glasses and usually have trouble with 10x binoculars. I have none with these.

Eye cups are very good with two intermediate stops that hold their place well.

Diopter adjustment is an aluminum ring just below right eye piece. Has click stop positioning and is not likely to move.

The Ocular covers are made of soft rubber and work well.
Objective covers are a tethered format with the seating being accomplished with an internal ring that fits in the objective well.

Focus wheel is smooth and even throughout the 1.5 turns from stop to stop. Made of aluminum the wheel has sufficient relief that a gloved finger shouldn’t have trouble turning. There is a dampening quality to wheel that seems to reduce overshooting of focus. Depth of field is good.

Fit and finish are very good. The Ocular covers are made of soft rubber and work well.

The Bad:

Not much here yet the objective covers require a bit of force to seat. They seem to be getting easier with use.

While case is a nice clamshell style, three zipper teeth have fallen out.

This binocular is quite impressive! Given its retail price of $680, it’s a great binocular that’s hard to compete with unless you spend $1000, in my humble opinion.

Thanks for posting this. From what you've said these Snypex bins seem like nice instruments. I guess there's lots of competition around this price-point so perhaps most people go with better-known names - but it seems Snypex might be well worth a look.

...Mike

These are impressively specced bins given their combination of weight, field of view, and eye-relief. Are these made in Japan?

Sounds good and thanks for the report!

Any pictures? and...I TOO would be interested in where they are made...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back