• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leucistic goose or hybrid?? (1 Viewer)

simongodfrey

Sorry if hunting pics are frowned upon but i guy i know wants to know what the deal is with this goose he got. Tbis fall, ontario canada

Attachments

• received_10214382022168182.jpeg
    received_10214382022168182.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 100
  • received_10214382022528191.jpg
    received_10214382022528191.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 95
  • received_10214382022608193.jpg
    received_10214382022608193.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 96
Yeah, Snow Goose it is. At first glance thought the bill was black but on second look see that it isn't.

Trigger warnings for photos of dead birds? We live in a fallen world indeed!

Yep. Doesn't bother me, but clearly, it does bother some. . ..

But does it "bother some" or do some people simply say it does as a display of sensitivity? I would have thought that people truly "bothered" by a photo of a dead goose would find life in the modern world, with its depictions of carnage and corpses everywhere one looks, just about impossible.

I know this off topic (well, not really, it is relevant to the post in discussion) --

I am actually not THAT bothered by this post. I am not a vegan or vegetarian or anything, and I understand that people kill birds (or other animals) for various reasons. That's fine. But there is a place for such pictures, and I don't think it should be here. I, for one, come to this forum to learn about wild birds. The last thing I want to see is that they are being SLAUGHTERED.

Think of it this way -- and take off your cultural hat for a moment -- in some Asian countries, people eat dogs. Can you imagine someone posting pictures of shooting dogs on a PET LOVERS' forums? You think that is ridiculous? So do I.

I am sorry, I am usually not this opinionated, and I don't think the OP meant to provoke anything; it was in all likelihood just an innocent question for ID help. But I REALLY wish I did not have to come to this forum to see this kind of pictures.

Yeah, Snow Goose it is. At first glance thought the bill was black but on second look see that it isn't.

Trigger warnings for photos of dead birds? We live in a fallen world indeed!

It's not just a dead goose. It is about KILLING goose. I hope you discern the difference.

As a forum newbie and also as someone who has been and witnessed a slaughterhouse in full throw - just letting you know that I'm not at all squeamish - I do find these photos very disturbing.

Yes, someone can post a photo of a bird that has been hit by a car, half eaten by another bird, mauled by a cat, but they can be accidents, 'acts of God' (even though I don't adhere to any faith) or just the cruelty (or beauty) of everyday wildlife as animals have to eat too, and to them it's neither cruelty or beauty it's just how they live their lives.

But I too find the OPs photos disturbing and unpleasant. I understand that we are all different and someone might say to me 'man up' or 'I've seen worse on youtube', but that's not the point. I think the point here is that these are hunting related and therefore there should be something put in place by this forum - based on a discussion/vote by its members - that either 'bans the use of' or 'has a place for' such images as they can cause distress.

Again, I have to agree. A dead bird is a dead bird, but the leering 'look what I've done' posing with the carcass? We're in the realms of crossbow wielding dentists taking out African lions.

The hunting and the fact that this bird has been killed for fun is what most object too, it's not gruesome, just random slaughter.

As another poster said, if hunters don't know what they're shooting, what protects endangered birds from the same fate, chance only.

A

Have to agree. Next time I see a bird I can't identify is it OK if I blast it out of the sky so I can get better photo's to post on an ID forum?

Have to agree. Next time I see a bird I can't identify is it OK if I blast it out of the sky so I can get better photo's to post on an ID forum?

Remember not so long ago that's what ornithologists did - and some museum collectors still do - before we get too far up the moral high ground my friends. Not saying it's the same, just that it's not completely different either....
Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back