• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (13 Viewers)

Anyone know where Heslop's Reeds are at Hornsea Mere?

There is a footpath on the south side of Hornsea Mere. From the main road walk although this footpath (which goes in a west direction) for about 1 mile. Where the reeds get close to the footpath – that’s Heslop's Reeds. Go past these reeds for the Ring Ouzel and Richard’s Pipit.

Ring Ouzel: Go past Heslop's Reeds and turn the first right (i.e. go north) off the footpath down a track that has a hedgerow on your right. The male Ring Ouzel is normally halfway between the footpath and a vehicle gate which is around 200 yards north of the footpath. This bird is often easy to see.

However the Richard’s Pipit is elusive and normally only seen in flight. It does not have a tail so it looks like a Woodlark in flight. It is seen in the grass fields nearest to the Ouzel hedgerow. Please note that these fields are private.

Also at Hornsea is 1 black necked grebe and 1 slav seen before you get to Heslop’s.

Ldv

After a less than active first hour on the LDV managed to get all the following in the next half hour, And I thought it was going to be quiet!!!
Teal, Marsh Harrier, Bullfinch, Twite, Goldfinch, Snipe, Buzzard, Wren, Kestrel, Mute swans, Fieldfare 30-40, Lapwing 60+, Heron, Long tailed tits, Roe deer.
pics not great (sorry) :t:

Attachments

• T.jpg
    T.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 57
  • H.jpg
    H.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 53
  • mh1.jpg
    mh1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 95
  • RD.jpg
    RD.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 51
After a less than active first hour on the LDV managed to get all the following in the next half hour, And I thought it was going to be quiet!!!
Teal, Marsh Harrier, Bullfinch, Twite, Goldfinch, Snipe, Buzzard, Wren, Kestrel, Mute swans, Fieldfare 30-40, Lapwing 60+, Heron, Long tailed tits, Roe deer.
pics not great (sorry) :t:

Where abouts were the Twite Zing?

27 white-fronts dropped in on Old Moor today at 3:30ish .. Flushed by a f***ng helicopter at about 4pm and headed out towards Edderthorpe Flash ... Cetti's showing very well next to the path leading to the Bittern Hide too ..

27 white-fronts dropped in on Old Moor today at 3:30ish .. Flushed by a f***ng helicopter at about 4pm and headed out towards Edderthorpe Flash ... Cetti's showing very well next to the path leading to the Bittern Hide too ..

Glad you said that Dave i get totally Pi***d off with a couple of numpties who scare off all the birds on the ldv in a james bond style mini helicopter.Can you get ground to air missiles on ebay? see page 585 post 14624

Last edited:

Pity that. I hoped they may stay around and give me chance to catch them next week. Despite the fact they seem to be in everyone's back garden this autumn I've still never seen one. Went to Orgreave last Friday in high hopes to no avail but at least had the consolation of the smew-not a lifer though! I suppose a helicopter makes a change from dogs.....

November WeBS counts

Did the November WeBS count at Rodley NR this Sunday, and we managed a new reserve record of 56 Gadwall. Given the fog was so thick, the real count may be higher. The Linnet flock numbers around 300 now (depending which of the counters you speak to ;)).

I did my WeBS section of the River Aire today (a bit late...), highlights:
62 Mallard (35 males; 27 females). 2 Kingfisher, 2 Goosander (female/imm), 5 Moorhen, 65 Black-headed Gull.
Plus: 18 Pied Wagtail on the house roof opposite sewage works, with at least another 10+ on the filter beds, c20 Siskin in beach tree near Rowing Club, 2 calling GSW, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, c10 Goldfinch.
And in, or under, just one tree (possibly a London Plane?) by the river at Salts Sports: c10Redwing, 1 Fieldfare, 2 Mistle Thrush, 6 Blackbird, 1 Jay, 2 Bullfinch, 2 Treecreeper, 4 Wood Pigeon, 1 Chaffinch, 1 Robin, plus a big mixed Tit flock of Long-tailed, Great, Blue and Coal Tit. There may have been more, but I couldn't keep up.

Cheers

Last edited:
Did the November WeBS count at Rodley NR this Sunday, and we managed a new reserve record of 56 Gadwall. Given the fog was so thick, the real count may be higher. The Linnet flock numbers around 300 now (depending which of the counters you speck to ;)).

I did my WeBS section of the River Aire today (a bit late...), highlights:
62 Mallard (35 males; 27 females). 2 Kingfisher, 2 Goosander (female/imm), 5 Moorhen, 65 Black-headed Gull.
Plus: 18 Pied Wagtail on the house roof opposite sewage works, with at least another 10+ on the filter beds, c20 Siskin in beach tree near Rowing Club, 2 calling GSW, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, c10 Goldfinch.
And in, or under, just one tree (possibly a London Plane?) by the river at Salts Sports: c10Redwing, 1 Fieldfare, 2 Mistle Thrush, 6 Blackbird, 1 Jay, 2 Bullfinch, 2 Treecreeper, 4 Wood Pigeon, 1 Chaffinch, 1 Robin, plus a big mixed Tit flock of Long-tailed, Great, Blue and Coal Tit. There may have been more, but I couldn't keep up.

Cheers

Must have been a big tree! :t:

Anybody else see the Metro Newspaper today - page 3 with a twist. Story about some birders up at South Gare watching a Humes Warbler and getting an extra sighting thrown in - some models pretty much starkers doing a photo shoot on a motorbike!!!!! Some of the supposed quotes by the birders there:

"The Humes is not the best bird of the day - theres the blonde in the g-string, posing on a motorbike" and "birdwatching is full of surprises" ;)

Anybody else see the Metro Newspaper today - page 3 with a twist. Story about some birders up at South Gare watching a Humes Warbler and getting an extra sighting thrown in - some models pretty much starkers doing a photo shoot on a motorbike!!!!! Some of the supposed quotes by the birders there:

"The Humes is not the best bird of the day - theres the blonde in the g-string, posing on a motorbike" and "birdwatching is full of surprises" ;)

Was in the sun and daily mirror too today, nice looking bird on that bike, :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back