• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new tripod for ATX 95mm scope (1 Viewer)

clive ward

Hi all I have had the new Swarovoski ATX 95mm scope for about a month now. I have it on the Gitzo 2380 head that's a total weight of 3.7kg. The tripod I have is just not up to the job. What would you recommend? As always weight is going to be a issue but stability is more important. I have looked at the Gitzo GT3531 on the internet. What do you think?

Thanks Clive.

Clive,

I'm using a Gitzo GT2531 Mountaineer on my new Swaro ATX 95 scope. I've only had the scope for 10 days and 2 all-day outings, but I've owned the tripod for 4 years and can attest to its stability.

The GT2531 weighs only 3 lbs, but is rated for a 26.4 lbs which gives a 4:1 ratio for rated load capacity to actual load including the Manfrotto 701 head and ATX 95 scope.

I've also owned a Gitzo GT3530LS tripod (39 lb rating) for 3 years, and consider it overkill for most birding situations. Perhaps I would use it for a January seawatch during a nor'easter with 20mph winds at 20*.

Jay

My scope is a Kowa TSN4 with an Opticron SDL V2 eyepiece on a Manfrotto 701 head, which is a piece lighter than your setup. However weight is not the issue, vibration damping and stability are more important to me. I use either a Gitzo 2531 or Gitzo 3530ls, I just tend to grab the nearest one and go with that. The 2 series is not as stable as the 3 series but more than adequate and lighter.
I think you would be delighted with the 3531 but don't discount the 2 series.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back