• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What camera to buy? (1 Viewer)

Hanno

Ho Ho Ho
Hi folks,

I went through every thread in the digiscoping forum, and am more confused. I use an Optolyth TBS 80 scope with a 30WW lens, which i would like to continue using. My questions:

1. What camera would be best-suited? Coolpix 4500 (assuming I can still buy it somewhere)?

2. And what adapter would I need? Preferably, I would like a set-up that is easy to install and remove, I don't really want to have the camera attached all the time.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Hanno

The CP4500 still seems to be the best suited as with the CP990 - even harder to get hold of! I had hoped a 5 or 6 mp camera would have superceded them by now, but not by the looks of it.

The improvement in sharpness from 4 to 6mp is, I am reliably informed via the Yahoo digiscoping forum, significantly less than might be expected, even though the file size rockets. It seems that 4mp is a very good compromise (hardly the right word!).

Ah well - I bought one two months ago and paid the higher price. A very good company to deal with, though!

scampo said:
The improvement in sharpness from 4 to 6mp is, I am reliably informed via the Yahoo digiscoping forum, significantly less than might be expected, even though the file size rockets. It seems that 4mp is a very good compromise (hardly the right word!).

I moved from a 3MP CP995 to a 5MP CP5000. This represents a mere 25% increase in linear detail. If you are really trying to make nice prints, then a move from 3MP to 5MP might make sense. Right now the Olympus C5060 seems to be the best candidate, but there are too few people using it to really say for sure.

A move up from 4MP would be difficult to justify considering the even smaller increase in the amount of detail resolvable.

4MP to 8MP probably makes good sense, but there isn't a suitable camera yet.

The Coolpix it is then, I suppose. However, I cannot order over the internet (import takes here in Vietnam are murderous) so I hope that I can pick one up in Thailand this summer.

Jay Turberville said:
I moved from a 3MP CP995 to a 5MP CP5000. This represents a mere 25% increase in linear detail. If you are really trying to make nice prints, then a move from 3MP to 5MP might make sense. Right now the Olympus C5060 seems to be the best candidate, but there are too few people using it to really say for sure.

A move up from 4MP would be difficult to justify considering the even smaller increase in the amount of detail resolvable.

4MP to 8MP probably makes good sense, but there isn't a suitable camera yet.
Thanks, Jay - I think it was your similar post I recalled from the Yahoo group.

AndyC said:
Is that the price new? If it is then it's seriously cheap - or do you have to add items like the battery to the price? A year ago I saw it for over £500.

AndyC

Yeah, that's the price new. I bought a camera plus 128mb card 'promo pack' a couple of weeks ago for about 330 quid, including next day delivery. I was well pleased!

Abbotalefan

Hanno said:
The Coolpix it is then, I suppose. However, I cannot order over the internet (import takes here in Vietnam are murderous) so I hope that I can pick one up in Thailand this summer.

Well, if you are a bit adventurous, you might consider the 5MP Olympus C5060. As I said, there aren't many people using it, but Ooi Beng Yean and a few others in Maylasia are posting very nice images and report good success. I haven't seen them switch to the CP4500 or back to the CP990 and they are in the company of some very good digiscopers such as Laurence Poh.

I very much like the CP5000, but its wider angle lens requires more care in selecting a matching eyepiece.

Jay Turberville said:
Well, if you are a bit adventurous, you might consider the 5MP Olympus C5060. As I said, there aren't many people using it, but Ooi Beng Yean and a few others in Maylasia are posting very nice images and report good success. I haven't seen them switch to the CP4500 or back to the CP990 and they are in the company of some very good digiscopers such as Laurence Poh.

The Olympus C5060 has a very fast AF which is a definite advantage for digiscoping. It has all the bells and whistles that you can dream of and with some practise you can really twek the way you take the your pictures. The objective lens is moving in and out when zooming the camera. I guess, that limits the use to one zoom setting, i.e., the longest focal length (which presumably gives the most protruding lens) in order to not accidentally cause jamming the lens towards the eyepiece?

I use a 5MP Olympus C5050 for which I have use a special eyepiece with very long eyerelief in order to avoid vignetting while digiscoping.

Cheers, Jens.

jebir said:
The objective lens is moving in and out when zooming the camera. I guess, that limits the use to one zoom setting, i.e., the longest focal length (which presumably gives the most protruding lens) in order to not accidentally cause jamming the lens towards the eyepiece?

I use a 5MP Olympus C5050 for which I have use a special eyepiece with very long eyerelief in order to avoid vignetting while digiscoping.

Cheers, Jens.

It really shouldn't. if you use a CLA-7 adapter tube, there would be no risk of the zoome lens hitting the eyepiece. I couldn't find much on this adapter, but I'm assuming that it has some standard thread size on the lens end that would allow it to mate to a digiscoping adapter. My assumption is that the situation is very similar to that with my CP5000 that uses a UR-E6 adapter to made to the eyepiece adapters.

Jay Turberville said:
It really shouldn't. if you use a CLA-7 adapter tube, there would be no risk of the zoome lens hitting the eyepiece. I couldn't find much on this adapter, but I'm assuming that it has some standard thread size on the lens end that would allow it to mate to a digiscoping adapter. My assumption is that the situation is very similar to that with my CP5000 that uses a UR-E6 adapter to made to the eyepiece adapters.

The CLA-7 has a proprietary Olympus bayonet that, as far as I know, only fits the Olympus tele- and wide angle converters WCON-07C and TCON-17C made by specifically for that camera. However, I think Soligor and Raynox are making third party lens tubes with standard 52 mm treads. That might be one way to go then.

Cheers, Jens.

"The improvement in sharpness from 4 to 6mp is, I am reliably informed via the Yahoo digiscoping forum, significantly less than might be expected."

They are lying mate...... There is a huge difference. Just compare the difference between the Nikon and your Fuji 602, and that camera is interpolated upto 6M and not a true 6 megapixel.

I suppose record shots of birds taken by digiscoping probably is not going to show much improvement. The time taken for the camera to save pictures of that size would not be suitable for this hobby. But any more serious photography and it makes a huge difference in the outputted pictures on the printer.

The other factor is that DSLR's or top of the range big megapixel cameras usually also output in RAW format, which means there is no loss in picture quality by compression. No serious photographer would use anything less when doing wedding photographs or portraits etc.......

Last edited:
mickporter said:
"The improvement in sharpness from 4 to 6mp is, I am reliably informed via the Yahoo digiscoping forum, significantly less than might be expected."

They are lying mate...... There is a huge difference. Just compare the difference between the Nikon and your Fuji 602, and that camera is interpolated upto 6M and not a true 6 megapixel.

Yes - point taken, Mick. But for digiscoping, I suspect, as you suggest, less of a practical difference.

mickporter said:

"Huge difference" and "significantly less than might be suspected" are pretty vague references. So lets be a bit more precise.

A CP995 at 3.1MP has a 2048x1536 pixel image. Moving to a CP4500 (which is actually a bit less than 4MP) adds about 25% more pixels, but increases the linear resolution only about 10% (2048 increases to 2272). So your 8x10 image might be enlarged to 8.8x11 with no noticable decrease in quality. As you go up the scale, a 1MP increase means less and less as a percentage increase in linear resolution.

Most cameras used for digiscoping have smallish sensors that use typical Bayer type CCD sensors. If the sensor type changes in a significant way, then a simple look at the numbers may not be sufficient. The Fuji 602 uses a different sensor design. It gets a bit better performance out of its 3MP sensor. By my eye and the tests done at DPreview.com, its better than the typical 3MP and not quite up to the quality level of a typical 4MP camera.

There are other sensor designs as well. The Foveon is only a 3MP sensor, but it performs almost as well as a 6MP DSLR sensor since it lacks the Bayer mask. And the larger sensors on a 6MP DLSR sensor have lower noise than the smaller sensors on the typical digicam used for digiscoping.

mickporter said:
I suppose record shots of birds taken by digiscoping probably is not going to show much improvement. The time taken for the camera to save pictures of that size would not be suitable for this hobby. But any more serious photography and it makes a huge difference in the outputted pictures on the printer.

I regularly shoot at 5MP and can fire off a sequence of 7 images non-stop. I don't see how shooting at 6MP - a mere 20% increase in data - should present much of a problem if the camera is designed to quickly process that size of an image.

mickporter said:
The other factor is that DSLR's or top of the range big megapixel cameras usually also output in RAW format, which means there is no loss in picture quality by compression. No serious photographer would use anything less when doing wedding photographs or portraits etc.......

Now the time required to write a RAW file might very well slow down the camera to the point of crippling it for wildlife photography. I think the DLSRs do manage to write RAW files a bit faster.

Anyway folks, what makes a "huge difference" or what is "significantly less than might be expected" is certainly open to different interpretations. I suggest that anyone interested in the topic should take the time and interpret for themselves with their own eyes. Download original unaltered files from DPreview.com or similar sites that keep such examples. Then print them or have them printed and decide for yourself with your eyes. That is precisely what I did when I moved from a 3MP to a 5MP. The difference was not dramatic IMO, but it was noticable to me and I decided that, for me, it was worth the expense. In fact, a friend prefered the 3MP image that I printed - which makes the point that the content of the image has a huge impact on how well it can tolerate being enlarged - even when images have as large a gap as that between 3MP and 5MP.

Of course, this is only speaks to the camera when used normally. Digiscoping brings another set of questions and issues into the discussion. For instance, sensors with greater resolution reach the limit of the scope's magnification sooner.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back