• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-tailed Tits (1 Viewer)

Richard D said:
Any particular variety of cheese favoured? Any suggestions for how to hang it?

Regards Richard

(unashamed Long-Tailed-Tit fan)

My lump of cheese was just put in a shallow dog food bowl on the bird table.

I have read that mild cheese is best for birds, but this was just a lump of mature cheddar, with the mouldy parts cut off.

We had a visit from 4 LTT this morning, straight to the sunflower hearts on bird table, then into hedges looking for insects, they really are cute.

Most of the reports in this thread are from England/Wales/IOM. I have not seen any LTTs here in Fife for two years (until recently) though I saw them down in Sussex whilst visiting my mother. There seems to be something of a North-South divide here. That is supported by the results of last year's Big Garden Birdwatch which places LTTs around 12th to 15th in the top 20 for most of the Southerly districts. Here in Kirkcaldy they turned up right on cue just 5 mins before the end of my allocated hour for this year's Big Garden Birdwatch. 4 fed on the fat balls and 4 on the peanuts. They left after only about 3 minutes and I haven't seen them since. That is not to say they haven't returned, because I am at work from 8am to 5pm Mon to Fri so I only get a chance to observe any visitors at the weekend and of course routine chores mean that I do not get to watch continuously even then. Roll on retirement day! I might then find out where all that money goes to that I am spending on birdfeed.

Offord said:
I've had them come to peanut feeders just once. They're not that interested in them. You'll get nowhere with sunflower seeds either (they totally ignore them). They mainly feeds on invertebrates, so if you've cracked it for wrens or treecreepers you're in with a chance with LT Tits too! If not.....
The LTT's that visit daily feed on the peanut cake, glazed peanut block, and also on the sunflower seeds.

They can hang around for quite a while sometimes, flitting from the feeders to the birdbath.

Treecreepers and wrens also present in garden.

I used to have infrequent visits from LTT's. Recently I saw them more often, they are now coming daily! I am very pleased about it!
They feed on peanuts and fat balls (which i've run out of!) This morning I was cleaning the bird table and feeders and they were hanging around like the Robin and Blue Tits! Staying very close and were quite bold!

I have never seen them in my garden, but did hope to see them this winter. There is hope though, a flock of approx 20 passed through some shrubs about 10 metres from my garden the other day. I had just parked the car, and when I got out I could hear them. After watching what appeared to be just 3 or 4 birds, the leader flew away, followed by approx 20 others!

im quite lucky as they are common around my patch, and they tend to flock in groups of around 10-15 so are quite a handfull when feeding together on a single feeder!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back