• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying a lens on ebay? (1 Viewer)

jdbirdman

John Dempsey (jdbirdman)
Has anybody bought a relatively expensive lens on ebay from digitalrev? They have the Sigmonster 300-800 almost a grand cheaper than here but has anybody had import duty experience when receiving such an item? Is it the rule of thumb that you automatically pay this at the door or can an item slip through the net. It will be shipped from Hong Kong if i decide to go down this road.
cheers
John

jdbirdman said:
Has anybody bought a relatively expensive lens on ebay from digitalrev? They have the Sigmonster 300-800 almost a grand cheaper than here but has anybody had import duty experience when receiving such an item? Is it the rule of thumb that you automatically pay this at the door or can an item slip through the net. It will be shipped from Hong Kong if i decide to go down this road.
cheers
John

During their recent ebay promotion digitalrev were guaranteeing to refund any taxes charged. However they do not do this on every item. I bought a Sigma 170-500mm this way, I hade to pay VAT, sent them a copy of the customs receipt which they refunded me. Presumably if I had not been charged they would have made a larger profit. Digitalrev also have their own site (www.digitalrev.com) where prices are cheaper than their ebay sight, but on top of which ,if youplacean order, they will add taxes, and you will not have to pay any charges yourself. The total costs are very much the same whichever route you take, the advantage of the latter is knowing exactly what you will pay and not having to worry whether you will get a refund on any charges using the ebay route. The only reason I chose the ebay route was that they listed the lens twice at the same price, however one entry was without the case,and the other with. I checked digitalrev about this, and this was so. On their own site only the lens without the case was listed.Therefore as I wanted the case I used the ebay route. Hope this helps.

Providing you pay customs and VAT you should be fine otherwise you should be aware of Sigma's small print - this is from their UK web site with reference to Gray Imports:-

"Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd does not condone the avoidance of the payment of VAT and import duty. Any claims on our 12 month International Warranty from the owners of products not imported into the UK by Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd must therefore be accompanied by proof of payment of import duty & VAT." :-C

Interesting! Just been on their site and its as you said. I did notice neither ebay or their site mentions the drop in rear filter holder. I will have to enquire about that. Thanks for taking the time to pass on your findings
cheers
John

baillieswells said:
During their recent ebay promotion digitalrev were guaranteeing to refund any taxes charged. However they do not do this on every item. I bought a Sigma 170-500mm this way, I hade to pay VAT, sent them a copy of the customs receipt which they refunded me. Presumably if I had not been charged they would have made a larger profit. Digitalrev also have their own site (www.digitalrev.com) where prices are cheaper than their ebay sight, but on top of which ,if youplacean order, they will add taxes, and you will not have to pay any charges yourself. The total costs are very much the same whichever route you take, the advantage of the latter is knowing exactly what you will pay and not having to worry whether you will get a refund on any charges using the ebay route. The only reason I chose the ebay route was that they listed the lens twice at the same price, however one entry was without the case,and the other with. I checked digitalrev about this, and this was so. On their own site only the lens without the case was listed.Therefore as I wanted the case I used the ebay route. Hope this helps.

hummmmmm the small print! So even if you avoid the customs and tax duty you still run a risk.
thanks for taking the time Nigel.

Nigel G said:
Providing you pay customs and VAT you should be fine otherwise you should be aware of Sigma's small print - this is from their UK web site with reference to Gray Imports:-

"Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd does not condone the avoidance of the payment of VAT and import duty. Any claims on our 12 month International Warranty from the owners of products not imported into the UK by Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd must therefore be accompanied by proof of payment of import duty & VAT." :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back